Fixing Astringency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I brewed a porter in April and just put it on tap this week. It was tannic, acrid and bitter.

At the time of brewing i did an unintentionally long mash (between 90 and 120 minutes) that included all dark grains (1lb black patent, 8oz brown, 8oz chocolate) and may have scorched grain during mash out of 170F. My notes from brew day indicate the beer smelled bitter or acrid when it started to boil but gave way to coffee and toffee aromas later in the boil. I am assuming the long mash and higher mashout temp contributed to the astringency. Other thoughts on that are appreciated.

Can I fix this astringency? Has anyone successfully balanced out the atringent character of a beer post production? If not then I am dumping this keg.

Funny thing is, I tasted a commercially produced local beer last week - a black IPA - that was great initially but then completely turned my stomach. Couldn't finish it. Now I think the brewer just took some scorched/tannic beer, hopped it up and served it. I've been curious as to why I had that reaction to that beer, within a week I knew.

Is this a 5 gallon batch? If so you used way way way too much black patent malt. This is a non-debittered black malt 500 L. Most of the astringincy is coming from that. If I am doing a 5 gal black IPA, I might use 3-4 oz of black patent max. Long mash didn't help but it is a combo of the temp, time and ph that will extract tannins.

You get what you get with this one....you could blend it with something sweet and mild and maybe have something drinkable, call it a blac and tan, but other than that I can't think of anything. Call it a brewing lesson we all learn them along the way.

It actually may have been debittered black malt, I was in a rush and just copied directly from BeerSmith (which did not have debittered as an option.)

Yeah, I'm going to try to blend what I have with some other lesser beers hoping for a miracle. And yes, good lesson to learn ... I will likely be dumping this batch.

Latest posts

Back