fittings for immersion wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I finished building my new chiller (upped from a 20ft 3/8" to a 50ft 1/2") and i'd like to have garden hose adapters on each outlet of the chiller. I've looked into the compression fittings, but after getting all the necessary pieces it becomes quite expensive. Instead i'm looking to solder the ends on.

Problem is, i know what i want, but not sure what it's called or where to look at lowes/menards. I'd like to have one end to be solderable onto my 1/2" OD pipe, and the other end to have 3/4" MHT. Does such a fitting exist?

Obviously, i've never soldered copper pipe, so i don't know if there are special fittings sized for soldering purposes or...?

TIA

You are needing male or female soldered adapters. Its best to have your chiller with you so you can be sure you get the correct size on the soldered end.

I have never seen a soldered adapter with a 3/4" hose thread on it.

My IC is 3/8, not 1/2, but I used brass hose to barb adapters. I put the tubing INSIDE the barbs and soldered it. This way I avoid the narrow constriction with compression fittings. Maybe you can find some brass barb fittings that will just slip over your tubing, as I did.

For simplicity's sake I'd just use some 1/2" ID tube, attach it to the copper with a hose clamp and then get a 1/2" ID barb to 3/4" MHT adapter at Lowes. These adapters are readily available, they're in the plumbing section at Lowes. In mine it's the same aisle as the toilet repair stuff and at the opposite end you can find the hose clamps.

For simplicity's sake I'd just use some 1/2" ID tube, attach it to the copper with a hose clamp and then get a 1/2" ID barb to 3/4" MHT adapter at Lowes. These adapters are readily available, they're in the plumbing section at Lowes. In mine it's the same aisle as the toilet repair stuff and at the opposite end you can find the hose clamps.

Thanks for the suggestion, but with that route i might as well just clamp the plastic tubing from the faucet straight to the pipe and skip the hose thread adapters . Having spent $60 on copper tubing and the time shaping it exactly how i wanted, i'm trying to avoid rigging it like my previous setup and looking for a more "clean" and permanent option.

I'll look into the barbed to adapter option for soldering.

Clamping tubing directly to the copper is inviting leaks as the tubing gets hot. GH fittings with 1/2" barbs (in brass) should accomodate the 3/8" tubing on the interior of the barbs. Go to lowes and grab the fittings and walk over to the copper tubing for a dry fit. If it's too tight, you can drill it out a bit with a 3/8" bit and then solder it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to find a 3/8" solder end to 1/2" FIP at menards. Then 1/2" MIP to 3/4" MHT and it's ready to go.

Soldering was way easier than i thought. Glad i decided to go this route vs. a compression fitting.

Back