First Year Nugget Hops - No Cones!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beershere

Reaction score
I have a vine.....but still no cones! This is the first year, I planted 2 rizhomes and the other died. Do I need 2 to be able to cross-polinate??

Thanks for your input.

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

I had the same thing on my first year Nuggets last year. Very few cones this year. Might just be a trait of the nugget.

That's huge compared to mine, it want maybe 3 feet.
Hopefully it's building a large root system and start anew next year with lush foliage and many hops. (wishful thinking)
My willianette is starting to produce and i'm putting in some C hops next year.

I've been growing Nugget and Cascade for 6 years. The Cascade harvest was pretty good the first year and is ridiculously awesome every year. The Nugget didn't produce cones the first year and the harvest has been pretty good since then.

My suggestion: Be patient!

Otherwise, if you just want to grow hops and aren't super particular about which type, Cascade grow very hearty and give a great yield.

My nugget has been spending a lot of time growing tall. Just this last weekend, it exploded with spurs. It will probably be a later harvest, but at least I will get some. Maybe that's the case here? I've always heard to not count on any ops the first year, and anything you get is a bonus. Maybe it's a 'better luck next year' kind of thing. :-\ probably not what you want to hear.

My Willamette is doing terrible. That one has like 6 cones on it, and they're all the size of a quarter. If it doesn't produce not year, that girl is getting kicked to the curb.
On another note, I'll probably pick up some c hops for next year. Definitely some cascade, maybe a centennial, and I'm debating on Columbus or Zeus.

I have a mt hood that's a beast! My chinooks are doing well also. I'm not too concerned about my nuggets. Yet. I plan on working the earth some more around mine and getting it some good nutrients.

I wouldn't have high expectations for first year nuggets. Next year should be better.

Maybe its just me, or the camera...but do those leaves look like they are yellowing to anyone else?

Dont look a nice vibrant green, more of a pale yellowish green. Atleast in the first picture, its hard to tell!

My Nugget is always the last one to burr up. I've got Halletau and Zeus just about ready to harvest and my Nugget is just starting to burr. Be patient. RDWHAHB.

I have a 1st year Nugget here in MD and it has probably a dozen small-ish cones and was the last of my 4 varieties. The others are Magnum (harvested 3 oz last night), Centennial (ready soon with hopefully 4-5oz), and Cascade (ready, waiting for Centennial for a wet hops beer). Like others said, it might just be the Nugget not producing well the 1st year.

Yeah, the leaves are slightly stressed at this point. I haven't been doing the best job of ensuring I water on a consistent basis the last 2 weeks are so. It still continues to grow higher though.

Thanks for all your responses!

I planted Cascade, Nugget and Willamette this year (1st time growing hops).

The Nugget Grew tall very quickly, and the cones did not start to form until it was almost time to harvest the first cones from the Cascade.

I just picked the first cones off the Nugget Bine, and will likely end up with a total of 1 dried ounce from each

I hate to sound like a jerk here but I had no problem with my first year nuggets. They gave me about a 1/2 pound total.

Back