First wine kit not fully fermenting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Nyholm

Reaction score
I started my first wine kit a few weeks ago. I allowed it to ferment in primary down to 1.008, then the instructions said to transfer to secondary and allow to ferment to .998-.996 but mine stopped at 1.000 after 2 weeks (the instructions said it would get there in 10 days). The wine has been at 1.000 for 5 days now and there is minimal airlock activity. I am not certain what I should do? Should I let it sit longer and hope it will get down? Should I stir it a little to try to activate the yeast? Or should I just go to the next step which is to clear it and degas? I am not certain if there is a negative to leaving it on the yeast cake for much longer than is recommended? It seems from reading here I should be following the directions pretty closely as opposed to beer brewing which can be adjusted a decent amount with no ill effects. For reference, it is a vintners reserve Caberbet-Shiraz blend. Also, my fermenting temperatures have been a little lower, about 62-64 degrees. I have warmed it up to about 70 for for the past 2 days to try to spur activity.bit haven't seen a change in gravity.

Any help would be appreciated and I am sorry for the continual noob questions, I just don't want to ruin a $125 kit!

Well, checked it again today and it still looks like it is at 1.000, maybe a little bit lower. The instructions say it should be .996 or even lower! Do you think the 4 points of gravity is something to worry about? I sure would hate to get bottle bombs or carbonated wine when I go to open it. I am making this for a family get together where we will be drinking at least 20 bottles of it...if it doesn't suck!

if gravity readings have been stable, you sorbate and K-meta should be enough to prevent refermentation, I say go ahead.

That is what I was thinking as long as it will kill any yeast that may have gone dormant or something.

Also, would .004 excess gravity even be noticeable?

That is what I was thinking as long as it will kill any yeast that may have gone dormant or something.

Also, would .004 excess gravity even be noticeable?

Maybe. It is the difference between "dry" and "off dry", and might make the wine taste not as dry as it should.

I'd try warming it up a bit, and seeing if it will drop those final few points before stabilizing it.

Maybe. It is the difference between "dry" and "off dry", and might make the wine taste not as dry as it should.

I'd try warming it up a bit, and seeing if it will drop those final few points before stabilizing it.

Ok, i'll give it another day or so. Just lit up the fireplace in the basement and it is already up to 72* in the room. Should take the wine a few hours to get up to that temperature as well.

I did taste it and it tasted pretty darn good. Very oaky, but from what i've read, that is to be expected.

Did you calibrate your hydro with distilled or RO water? 4 is what my hydro reads on the high side.

Did you calibrate your hydro with distilled or RO water? 4 is what my hydro reads on the high side.

I havent calibrated mine, but I used 2, one that always reads 2 points high read 1.002 and the other one that has been spot on for extract instructions for the past 20 bbrews read 1.000...

Ok, i'll give it another day or so. Just lit up the fireplace in the basement and it is already up to 72* in the room. Should take the wine a few hours to get up to that temperature as well.

I did taste it and it tasted pretty darn good. Very oaky, but from what i've read, that is to be expected.
The extra 2 days won't hurt anything. After that, if the SG is unchanged, and the taste is okay, I'd sorbate and continue the kit directions.

Latest posts

Back