First wine kit... help a newbie out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVCNick

Reaction score
My first wine kit has been in the primary for almost 14 days and looks like it is done fermenting (no more airlock activity).

I have the directions... it says first transfer at 14 days.

I know with beer the newbie kit instructions really leave a lot to be desired. Are there any tips or deviations from the directions you should do with your first wine kit?
I think I read somewhere that oxygenating on first transfer is good, but not after that.... is that true?
Thanks

i followed the instructions on my kits and they turned out really good, i started adding some tannins to my recent attempts. i think the first transfer you degas the Co2 out of the wine. but i have only brewed 3 kits, soo im still a newbie myself.
cheers

Thanks sir....

One thing the instructions are completely silent on is whether and when you should worry about exposing the wine to oxygen (or not)... any thoughts on that?

Thanks... so should I use the paint stirring attachment again to degas (as the directions say) or is that likely to result in too much oxygen exposure?

Also, I couldn't get the clay to dissolve no matter what... I hope that wasn't too important.

I put the bentonite in dry, at the start of visible fermentation (after degassing).

My first wine kit has been in the primary for almost 14 days and looks like it is done fermenting (no more airlock activity).

I know with beer the newbie kit instructions really leave a lot to be desired. Are there any tips or deviations from the directions you should do with your first wine kit?
I think I read somewhere that oxygenating on first transfer is good, but not after that.... is that true?
Thanks
Wine kits are a good start for wine enthusiasts. Some of the premium kits are quite good after 4 months and fantastic after sleeping for a year.

Thanks
Kits are a good start to the hobby, since 2007 I went from hobby to annual juice run. I would do 200 Gallo s if room permitted. A pricy premium kit is good after 4 months after a year long sleep it is great. As far as degassing I am hesitant to aggressively spin the c02 out of wine and always use a pinch of sullfite when transferring.

Ok so I'm at "Day 30 - polishing rack/aging" on the directions. Two questions:

-Reviewing the directions, I think I was supposed to put both packs of Chitosan in on day 15, but I only put one... should I put the other in now and leave it longer?

-How can I really tell if it is clear? It is very dark, but hard to tell how cloudy it really is in a carboy. It says if it is not clear, leave it longer, so I'm guessing there is no harm in leaving it longer?

I do see a layer of sediment on the bottom.
Thanks

If it’s in a carboy, shine a pen light through it and look at it from the other side. If there’s any haze or halo effect around the light, it’s not clear yet.

Back