First Wine Kit Bitter AfterTaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RecoTPD

Reaction score
I just finished my first island mist kit. Today was the day I was supposed to bottle but I decided to rack the wine one more time to get rid of all the sediment. I took a gravity reading and could not help myself I had to taste it. The wine had a good taste but had a very bitter aftertaste on my tongue. Any suggestions before I bottle this wine?

I will say that when making the wine I wanted a higher alcohol so I took a suggestion from the guy at the wine shop and he told me to add 2-5 lbs of sugar in my wine when I started it. I did use about 3 lbs of sugar that i dissolved into hot water when starting my kit.

I am not sure if I need to do anything to this or if it just needs to age a bit more.

So, have you added in the F-pack? After using metabisulfite and sorbate to prevent additional fermentation, you're supposed to add the F-pack to sweeten the wine and give it the final flavor. You said you're ready to bottle, so I assume that you have.

I felt my Island Mist got much better with more time in the carboy, and then again with more time in the bottle. What you do is up to you, though. :)

Yes I have added the f pack. The only thing left to do is bottle. I am going to let it sit in the carboy for at least another 2 weeks to see if it gets any better before I dump it down the drain.

Any other suggestions?

Do NOT dump it. You already made it, you already have the bottles... just go ahead and bottle it, then try one bottle a month until it gets good.

If you really, REALLY hate it, you can always find out how to turn it into vinegar... it would make pretty good vinegar, probably.

Would it be better to leave it in the carboy or to bottle at this point?

Also how ling can these island mist kits sit?

I'm not sure, but I'd leave it in the carboy. If you added metabisulfite at any point it should be protected against oxidation for a while. It can sit for a year or more, potentially. If it starts to turn brown, it's oxidizing and it's sitting time is at an end. ;)

Latest posts

Back