First Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

go_inbroke

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a Bavarian Hefe Weizen from NB. I have read and heard of coriander and lemon or orange peel/zest added to the boil at 5-15 mins of flame-out. Amounts of each vary... Has anyone done this and what amounts and times did you use.....

I cant speak for the corriander, but other spices i have added 5-10 minutes prior to flameout.

dried orange peel i use 10 minutes prior to flameout

as for zest, when i use the zest from oranges i typically use a sperate pot and boil .5gallons of water for 10 minutes, lett it cool to about 170deg, then add the zest (and actual oranges, too) to the .5 gallons, making a sort of "orange tea". i let it sit for the duration of the 60 minute wort boil. i then throw that into primary with the wort and top up to 5 gal. i used the zest from 4 oranges, cut them in half, and threw them in the "tea" in a muslin bag, which also went into the primary.

I boil my coriander and orange peel for the last 5 minutes of the boil, has worked wonderfully each time so I've never changed the time I boil them. However, those are used for Belgian Wit's, not Hefeweizen's. Of course you are totally free to experiment and many do add these adjuncts to their Hefe's, it's just not true to the style, that's all.

Rev.

Back