First Wheat Beer Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston85

Reaction score
On my 3rd AG batch now, and want to brew up an American Wheat in time for summer. Been playing around with a few recipes, and seem to have settled on one, but want to make sure there is nothing I should change or add. Currently going with:

4.5# White Wheat Malt
4# US 2 Row
1# Rice Hulls
.5 oz Cascade at 60 min
.5 Cascade at 30
.5 Cascade at 10
3 whole oranges zested and thrown into boil at 5 min
Wyeast 1010 yeast

I am thinking of mashing at around 150-152 because I feel like this style would be better to have a lighter body. However, I would rather this not be as high in ABV. Beersmith does not seem to adjust gravity estimates based on different mash temps, so I am a little unsure of how much a difference it will make if I do 150 vs 154 or so.

In general how does that recipe look? I decided to go Cascade because of the fruity flavor of it, although I hope the orange smell/taste will be a little more present. Also am I using too much with the Rice Hulls?

Would you drink this beer? haha. Thanks for any insight.

On my 3rd AG batch now, and want to brew up an American Wheat in time for summer. Been playing around with a few recipes, and seem to have settled on one, but want to make sure there is nothing I should change or add. Currently going with:

4.5# White Wheat Malt
4# US 2 Row
1# Rice Hulls
.5 oz Cascade at 60 min
.5 Cascade at 30
.5 Cascade at 10
3 whole oranges zested and thrown into boil at 5 min
Wyeast 1010 yeast

I am thinking of mashing at around 150-152 because I feel like this style would be better to have a lighter body. However, I would rather this not be as high in ABV. Beersmith does not seem to adjust gravity estimates based on different mash temps, so I am a little unsure of how much a difference it will make if I do 150 vs 154 or so.

In general how does that recipe look? I decided to go Cascade because of the fruity flavor of it, although I hope the orange smell/taste will be a little more present. Also am I using too much with the Rice Hulls?

Would you drink this beer? haha. Thanks for any insight.

I brewed a clone for an American Wheat from Boulevard Brewing Company out of Kansas City area. My recipe was fairly simmiliar but I used some flaked wheat as well. And i also used the WLP320 Strain which is the WLP version of your Wyeast 1010. I used a combination of Centennial and Simcoe but think Casade would do just fine. I did not use Rice Hulls. My OG was around 1.048 if i remember correctly.

And I agree, no fruit needed.

Back