First water report, a little guidance please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiknNutz

Reaction score
I just got my results from Ward Labs and based on what I've seen from other reports, it seems to be pretty decent, low on most everything. I have started messing with water additions using both Bru N Water (which has circular reference issues in V1.25), BrewCiper and the "Mash Chemistry and Brewing Water Calculator" in Brewer's Friend. Sadly I am getting confused already. I find if I add enough Gypsum, the Sulfate level goes beyond acceptable. Use Calcium Chloride instead and the Chloride level goes too high. Honestly, not quite sure where to really start with what to add or not to add. I can already tell that I should try to lower the pH. Aside from that, not really sure what I should be adding to get it all balanced properly. Some of each and some acid?

1617900744945.png

Attachments

• 1617900735433.png
    1617900735433.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
When you say "add enough Gypsum, the Sulfate level goes beyond acceptable," what do you mean by enough? Enough to get the Calcium ppm you're looking for, or enough to bring the mash pH down to where you want it? If the latter, the answer would be to use some acid instead of some of the CaCl2 or CaSO4. If the former, what Calcium ppm are you targeting?

Also, your water is almost a blank slate to build from. Page 9 of the presentation linked below shows one step by step approach for building from distilled/RO. I think your water is close enough that it could work for you.
http://sonsofalchemy.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Intro-to-Brewing-Water-Treatment.pdf

VikeMan hit the nail on the head. You have very soft, very low alkalinity water. Great to begin with. And if you're trying to bring your pH down, definitely use some lactic or phosphorous acid rather than adding more gypsum or CaCl and bringing your ions out of whack.

I begin the water "study" by using the spreadsheet by John Palmer. He's the author of "How to brew" (both website and, better and more refined, a book) and co-author of a "complicated-as-hell-for-the-layman" book on water for brewing. He is also the author of a simple and useful spreadsheet for calculation of water additions. If you have spreadsheet allergy, you can also find it under form of Android App. It's free.

This spreadsheet is useful in that it asks you the style you want to brew, and guides you in the calculations of the various salts and acid to add, having under your eyes a normal "range" of each salt for the style you are brewing. This spreadsheet will bring you very fast "in the ballpark".

I then use Bru'n Water to have a slightly more refined result which takes into account the exact grist I am using. But for wetting the toe, I find Palmers very easy to use.

About "which has circular reference issues in V1.25"...this is a "feature" of Bru'n Water. In Excel you have to File > Options > Formulas > (Check) Enable Iterative Calculations. Without this option checked, I don't think the calculated pH will update.

If you have not done so, be sure to multiply the "Sulfate SO4-S" by 4 3 to get the Sulfate value. Ward Labs reports the "as Sulfur" value.

It looks like a decent water base than can be adjusted for most styles.

Last edited:
Back