First Timer with Dry Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMBeer

Reaction score
I finally broke down and entered the homebrew arena with a Black IPA yesterday. My question is about the dry hopping and secondary stage. It seems as though there is some debate as to whether or not a secondary stage is necessary. However, I believe that by adding a dry hop, this should be done before the fermentation has completed (something about hoips introducing oxygen that an active yeast would take care of). Should I be monitoring via readings to make sure I have not reached the suggested final gravity and rack to secondary and add the hops?

Thanks

I've never had an issue with oxidation due to adding hops post-fermentation. The problem you run into adding them before fermentation is complete is that a good portion of the aroma is driven off by the CO2 still being released, which defeats the purpose of dry hopping in the first place.

I've never had an issue with oxidation due to adding hops post-fermentation. The problem you run into adding them before fermentation is complete is that a good portion of the aroma is driven off by the CO2 still being released, which defeats the purpose of dry hopping in the first place.

I agree with this. Plus, I think your risk of oxidation is greater from transferring to secondary as opposed to from the hops. But as long as you are careful and transfer there is no reason to worry. I've done both, but I usually dry hop by adding my hops to primary after fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back