First timer kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
So I've done 3 batches and I wanted to switch it up a bit, so I decided to get a small keg to put in my regular fridge. I bought a kit from Northern Brewer with the three gallon keg, a regulator, and the gas and beer lines, then I got a CO2 tank on Amazon for 60 bucks.

I spent this last Friday evening cleaning and sanitizing everything, and putting the stout I made three weeks prior into the keg. Also had about a gallon and a half extra, so those went into bottles. Now remember, I'm completely new to all of this, but I think I did a pretty good job so far.

My goal serving pressure was going to be 7 psi, so I originally set the regulator at 15 psi to force carb a little. I noticed in the first 24 hours that the pressure on the dial kept dropping. Through information I read mostly on this site, and learn that new Regulators will do this because the coils will get cold and contract. So I kept turning it back up to the pressure that I wanted. I also rolled it around and shook it up a little bit, for a couple of minutes after day 1 and day 2. Also after day 2 I realized the plastic stench coming from the beer that was in the tube over the first couple days. I then removed the beer line while I continued to carb the keg. I also set the pressure down to 10 psi.

After three days, I got home from work and I figure I might as well try to see how it is. I cleaned and sanitized the beer line again, set the pressure to 7 psi, and poured my first beer. Remember again, I am completely 100% new to all of this, yet the beer turned out perfect! Very happy to be part of this form, because I learned so much from the years of postings on here.

20170225_020233.jpg

20170301_000528.jpg

I also spent sometime last night researching better lines to get so I won't have two ounces of skunky beer to get rid of. I stumbled on that original post about accuflex Bev seal beverage lines, and ordered 50' for 16 bucks from farmhouse supply. Pretty cheap, however this new hobby of mine is certainly getting expensive on me.... lol.

I had a similar experience when I started kegging. It went down hill for a while after that.
I think it was when I added a keg, splitter etc.
Then I added another keg, a nitrogen set up, a second C02 regulator, a draft tower and kegerator. Learnin now.
I call it beginners luck [emoji39]
Enjoy!

I had a similar experience when I started kegging. It went down hill for a while after that.
I think it was when I added a keg, splitter etc.
Then I added another keg, a nitrogen set up, a second C02 regulator, a draft tower and kegerator. Learnin now.
I call it beginners luck [emoji39]
Enjoy!

Thanks, I think? lol

I'll take your 'so called' advice and stick with the one keg for a little while...lol.

It wasn't advice really just relaying my experiences.
If I was going to offer up advice I would say check for leaks, get some keg lube for gaskets and such, know the temperature of your beer to more accurately measure C02 volume and move to longer serving lines so you can serve higher volumes without pushing foam.

At serving pressure it will take about 2 weeks to carb completely. You can burst carb to do it in about 5 days but that would require you to set it at 3x the serving pressure for 24-36 hours then back it down to serving pressure for a few days. I'm sure it's "drinkable" at 3 or 4 days but you will notice it will be much better once you are fully carbed.

Back