First Timer - I Need Some Help (Slightly Freaking Out)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PKisNJ

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently received 3 hop crowns from Great Lakes Hops, which arrived a little bit later than I planned. I have my hop trellis set up and my garden is ready to go, but there is a catch. I did not know that they had to be in a shady area for two weeks prior to full sun....

This is a little tricky as I will be leaving for over a week for vacation.

So here is where I need help. Do I plant the crowns into the ground and set up my lines now? If so does anyone know of a way to keep them lightly shaded for the initial two weeks?

OR

Should I plant them in pots and keep them in a shady area or indoors while I am gone and then plant them after the two weeks has gone by and train them on the lines then?

Any help on these questions would be greatly appreciated as I am nervous that this terrible timing of my vacation will jeopardize the life of my hops before they have a chance to grow!

That news sounds promising for me. I am located in NJ and it's pretty hot right now so I am afraid I might fry the young plants in direct light. I might just give it a shot and just let them do their thing and see what happens.

Any morning HBT fans care to weigh in on this topic? I would greatly appreciate the advice!

My friend uses that black nylon window screening. Get a few lengths of dowel rod or something similar which you'll stick in the ground on the South side of the plants. Cut the screen into little squares (maybe 2'x2') and staple the ends to two sticks to create somewhat of a snow fence scenario. Just adjust the height so that when the sun is overhead a shadow is cast on your plants. Hope this makes sense.

That above would work, but you could probably just plant them in full sun. Of course you want to have a way to water them while away.

So I went with something close to that. I ended up getting some cheesecloth and doubled it over a few times and constructed small "tents" over the hops. It seems to work well and I have someone who will water while I am away. Hopefully these crowns like their new home!!

Latest posts

Back