First timer fermentation Question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishwhiskey

Reaction score
I made a Pale Ale extract brew
6lbs pale extract
8oz Caramel 10L
8oz Caramel 40L
Apollo hops .4 oz
Cascade hops .7oz
Cascade hops 1.0oz

The instructions state to leave in the primary fermenter for 3 to 5 days and transfer to the Secondary after the bubbles in the airlock are less than 2 bubbles per minute currently it is 6 bubbles per min and I'm going on day 6 should I transfer to the secondary or what for the bubbles to lessen?

The general consensus on this forum is that it is NOT necessary to transfer to secondary. While many do it to improve clarity, it has been brought up that simply leaving your beer in the primary for 3 weeks will do as much to improve clarity as transfering to secondary.

Most people who DO transfer do it for the following reasons:
1) adding oak, dry hopping, fruit or another additive to the beer, which can best be done off the yeast cake.
2) Long term bulk aging that they prefer to do in a smaller glass vessel, as opposed to a bucket fermenter
3) Free up a primary (larger) fermenter to start a new batch

In your case, it would seem the only reason to transfer would be #3 . . . so if you aren't planning on brewing again soon, I would just leave it in the primary for a few more weeks (a total of 3 weeks is generally best) Start checking your gravity every few days after about 12 days. When you have stable gravity near your desired FG on 3 readings, it's ready to bottle.

If you DO decide to transfer, I generally wait until the bubbling has nearly stopped.

Back