first timer, crazy to start with all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glutarded

Reaction score
So I am loooking to start brewing. I've never done it before. I've read a ton and watched numerous videos. My question is - is it crazy to start with all grain for my first brew? If I didn't have to be GF I would definitely start with extract to get a feel for it, but I hate all sorghum beer, so it seems crazy to brew a batch just for experience when I'm pretty sure I won't like it.

I've thought about doing a partial extract and steeping some toasted rice, but I'm no sure I will enjoy the result as much as all grain.

It seems like building a mash tun, buying some malted grains and doing an all grain with batch sparging doesn't add that much to the technique, but maybe I am naive as to how difficult it is.

Love to hear from your experience!

Not crazy at all. There are quite a few of us on these boards that never bothered going the extract route.

For simplicity's sake, you might want to take a look at BIAB. Allows you to skip the whole mash tun process. Just need a boil kettle and a large grain bag.

I agree about BIAB bieng a good way to start. I just did my first 2 all grain batches this way and they went very smoothly.

Partial mashes can work out very well also. I also dislike sorghum, you might try the brown rice syrup available from anapolis homebrew... it has worked out very well for me as long as I use some buckwheat, oats, maltodextrine, and or crystal malt to add some body (the rice syrup alone makes a very thin beer).

my best beers so far have been partial mashes with rice syrup.

I have brewed all grain from day one. Just do what you feel comfortable with and have fun!

I also jumped straight into all grain. I did my first 8 batches BIAB. Although I would wrap my boil kettle-turned-mash-tun in a sleeping bag during the mash to improve insulation, I found that I would lose ≈5 ºF over the 60 minute mash. I would also do a modified sparge.

I picked up a mash tun this year and I prefer it much more than BIAB. I know people advocate BIAB for the simplicity of having fewer things to wash/clean up, but the vigilance and energy required to maintain the heat through the mash, and then sparge and wring out the bag made it more inconvenient. (I know, I know, "squeezing the bag will extract tannins" – I never experienced this).

Point is, whichever way you go, you can totally pull it off.

You may want to look up Biermuncher's recipe for Cream of 3 Crops Cream Ale. It uses rice and flaked corn in addition to the base malt – might be a good starting point for you to modify for your needs.

I jumped straight into all grain and kegging in Feb of this year. Just put batch #10 in the fermenter on Friday.

Just relax, read all you can and go for it. As they say, the worst case is you've made beer (just maybe not great beer).

-g

Four years ago I was a regular beer maker turn GF because I got sick when I drank more then two bottles of regular beer. I spent much time trying to change my brewing habits into GF brewing habits and it can be done. If you use GF grains then your process will have to be a bit different but the all grain way is the best way to control all the ingredients in your batches and can be just as good. Go for it!

Add me to the list of jumping striaight to All-Grain with BIAB. I had done one traditional all-grain batch with a friend a while back and loved the smell of mashing in. I didn't like the idea of mixing a bunch of liquids and powders together like I'm making Mac N Cheese.

It's definitely a steeper learning curve, but that's what this site is for. The amount of variety and control you have over the wort characteristics is entirely worth it.

Nothing wrong with jumping feet first into AG brewing whether you go BIAB or traditional mash/sparge but I would suggest you read "How to Brew" by John Palmer, there is a free version on the web but it's dated, get the newer version.

Back