First time yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
Saturday a buddy and me brewed a hefty porter with a high og, 1.079 to be exact. I had previously read on the forums that with a big beer it would be best to rehydrate the yeast before pitching. All went well yeast ballooned up after a half hour. Now it's been 36 hours and nothing. Do I need more yeast or just wait it out?

I'm confused. You said rehydrate yeast ( dry pack?) then you say the yeast ballooned up (smack pack?), and you are refering to a yeast starter. What kind of yeast did you use? Did you make a starter? from dry or liquid yeast?

I would say that as long as your pitch temp wasn't too high you should be ok, but it has been awhile now. What temp is the beer sitting at now? Also have you taken a gravity reading or are you watching the airlock or looking for krausen?

Saturday a buddy and me brewed a hefty porter with a high og, 1.079 to be exact. I had previously read on the forums that with a big beer it would be best to rehydrate the yeast before pitching. All went well yeast ballooned up after a half hour. Now it's been 36 hours and nothing. Do I need more yeast or just wait it out?

There's a difference between rehydrating and making a starter? Which did you do? Making a starter involves boiling some DME and adding the yeast and stirring for a couple of days. Was it dry or liquid?

The yeast balooned after you pitched into the wort, went crazy for 36 hours and has since subsided? What is nothing, no bubbles in the airlock?

Small little bubbles and no krausen. The beer has been at 165 roughly. What t did was heated a half a cup of water to 95 degrees added the yeast and let sit for half hour. The yeast rose so I thought I had done it right.

Ok, so you had dry yeast and just rehydrated it. So, just for your own knowledge, not the same thing as a yeast starter. It is possible that it had a very fast fermentation and the primary activity stopped, but I would think you could see evidence of a krausen at least. Fermenting in a carboy or bucket?

Yeah I usually do. Iam going to assume that it wasn't that fast. Thanks for the clarification though. I might just re-pitch tomorrow.

Back