First time using gelatin... beer not clearing up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
I have a pineapple IPA cold crashing right now with gelatin and it's not clearing up as well as I'd hoped.

I added 7lb of pureed pineapple to the secondary. Before adding it the beer was clearing well on its own. But after adding the pineapple and letting it sit for 10 days it's very cloudy.

2 days ago I cold crashed it to 32F and added 1/2 tsp of gelatin which was dissolved in 170F water. Today, it doesn't look any more clear than it did before cold crashing.

I know fruit additions can cause cloudiness, but I was hoping the gelatin would fix it.

Pectin enzyme?

I've had issues of it not being successful if I didn't let it bloom for 20-25 minutes.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=184660

Did you do this? It also sounds like u need more, 1/2 teaspoon doesn't seem like enough.

No I didn't let it bloom, the vast majority of the guides didn't mention it.

I got the gelatin from the LHBS, it didn't have a brand name, but it said 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons. Any harm in adding more?

I suspect the pineapple is causing the cloudiness and gelatin won't fix it.

Pineapple is likely the culprit, they say not to put pineapple chunks in desserts because it will prevent jello from setting. Perhaps the pineapple puree is preventing the gelatin from working in a similar manner.

Pineapple is likely the culprit, they say not to put pineapple chunks in desserts because it will prevent jello from setting. Perhaps the pineapple puree is preventing the gelatin from working in a similar manner.

My gram used to ALWAYS put pineapple in jello, pears too.

This comment brought back a lot of memories, thanks lol

But I've never heard or seen pineapple prohibit it from setting.

To OP, theres various types of fining agents, gelatin being just one. With what you've added, I'd say go to the local market and get a box of Knox gelatin or any generic and give it another go. Check on youtube, there are a bunch of videos on how to heat the water and let it bloom using a microwave in short bursts. Its not hard you just don't want to overheat the water or it'll basically turn the gelatin to sludge at the bottom.

I have a pineapple IPA cold crashing right now with gelatin and it's not clearing up as well as I'd hoped.

I added 7lb of pureed pineapple to the secondary. Before adding it the beer was clearing well on its own. But after adding the pineapple and letting it sit for 10 days it's very cloudy.

2 days ago I cold crashed it to 32F and added 1/2 tsp of gelatin which was dissolved in 170F water. Today, it doesn't look any more clear than it did before cold crashing.

I know fruit additions can cause cloudiness, but I was hoping the gelatin would fix it.

Pectin enzyme?

Yes, you need pectic enzyme. My first pineapple IPA was really hazy, even with gelatin so on subsequent batches I used the enzyme. Since the directions on the bottle are usually for some sort of 100% fruit wine, I've been using maybe 1/4 what the bottle says to use. I don't have my notes in front of me, though. My pineapple IPA's have been super clear since then. I typically add it when I pitch the yeast. I use gelatin just before kegging, too.

Link: http://www.northernbrewer.com/pectic-enzyme

Yes, you need pectic enzyme. My first pineapple IPA was really hazy, even with gelatin so on subsequent batches I used the enzyme. Since the directions on the bottle are usually for some sort of 100% fruit wine, I've been using maybe 1/4 what the bottle says to use. I don't have my notes in front of me, though. My pineapple IPA's have been super clear since then. I typically add it when I pitch the yeast. I use gelatin just before kegging, too.

Link: http://www.northernbrewer.com/pectic-enzyme

Ok that's what I was thinking too. I'll need to remember that for next time. I'll just leave this batch a little cloudy.

Pectic enzyme is what you needed to use but it's not very alcohol tolerant so it's best to dose any fruit purees prior to adding to beer. That's assuming the fruit is being added after the beer ferments. If you put the fruit in at the same time you pitch yeast, add the enzyme then.

Pectic enzyme is what you needed to use but it's not very alcohol tolerant so it's best to dose any fruit purees prior to adding to beer. That's assuming the fruit is being added after the beer ferments. If you put the fruit in at the same time you pitch yeast, add the enzyme then.

Not the OP, but thanks for the info Bobby. I've always used it at boil, but now won't use it too late or will account for this later in fermentation.:mug:

Back