First time using dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudog

Reaction score
This is my first time using dry yeast, I know how to make a starter. Do you guys have any suggestions so I dont screw up.
Thanks

I usually do not make a starter with a quality dry yeast (Nottingham, S-05, etc), depending on the recipe for 5 gallons, I rehydrate and pitch. Sometimes even just pitch.

What yeast and what recipe?

I have never made a starter with dry yeast either and from what I read most people do not. Dry yeast is much higher in cell count compared to liquid yeasts. I would simply rehydrate and pitch. It's very easy to rehydrate. Just boil about 2-3 cups water for 5-10 minutes. If you have a pyrex flask or measuring cup it works great as you can boil it directly in this and reduce the risk of contamination transfering from a pot. After the boil allow the water to cool to ~100F and sprinkle the yeast packet on top trying to wet as much as the yeast as possible while being delicate. Allow the yeast to sit undistrubed for 30-60minutes and then swirl the solution to get a slurry. Pitch the slurry when at pitching temp.

Good luck!

I can save a little time/work by boiling water in a pyrex cup covered with plastic wrap (rated for microwave) to sanitize the cup; then replacing that water with room temp bottled water and adding yeast when the water is at 80 deg.

I'm thinking about taping a stick-on thermometer to the outside of the cup so I won't have to risk contamination by placing a sanitized thermometer in the yeast. But no problems so far.

i star san the bowl in which i rehydrate and use tap water... never had an issue. i only use 6 to 8 oz of water to hydrate.

Back