First time using CO2... and I got no dispensing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I went to the store today to buy a simple kegging system and it came with a 5 gallon keg and CO2 tank and a regulator...

I got home and replaced the o-rings on the keg with the ones they gave me. I hooked up all the quick disconnects on the keg (with picnic tap to). I don't have a batch of beer ready to keg, but I wanted to go through the whole process of dispensing anyways so I filled the keg with water. Then I connected the regulator to the tank and opened the valve on the tank then I tightened the regulator screw until the pressure showed about 12 psi then I pushed the tap but nothing came out. I suspected air is not getting into the tank so I turned off the gas on the tank and released the pressure on the regulator... I have only the regulator attached to the CO2 tank and I loosened the screw on the regulator all the way, then I turned on the gas from the CO2 tank and the high pressure gauge showed that it was connected, but then I tightened the screw on the regulator and the low pressure gauge showed 12 psi but no gas was coming out (I assumed I would here some hissing from the low pressure out connector on the regulator but nothing)... then I flicked the pressure relief valve and I hear the gas....

does this mean there is something wrong with the regulator because no gas flows out of the low pressure connector or am I missing something and I am completely stupid?

Is there a check valve before the gas quick disconnect? Is it on the right direction? Is the valve opened? A few pics of your setup might help.

The bottle has to be all the way open. The lever on the other end of the regulator has to be in the open position. The quick connect on the keg has to be connected correctly. I don't think you should ever open the emergency relief valve on the regulator.

Oh, and the bottle has to be not empty.

The bottle has to be all the way open. The lever on the other end of the regulator has to be in the open position. The quick connect on the keg has to be connected correctly. I don't think you should ever open the emergency relief valve on the regulator.

The bottle is not empty (I can assure you of this because if that were the case the gauges would never move), there are no valves on the regulator, I opened the co2 bottle all the way but no gas was coming out the connector that is suppose to connect to the keg. I pushed the relief valve (low pressure) to see if gas was coming through... and it was...

http://www.foxxequipment.com/catalog.php

it is on page 43 of the catalog and it is catalog number 03D03-131

Oh and no gas was coming out of the regulator when it was NOT connected to the keg (so it shouldn't be due to any connections to the keg)

take a screwdriver and push in on the pin onside the Quick disconnect. or better yet,push in on the poppit valve pin on the out post. see if it will give you a shower.

can you hear gas going into the keg?

take a screwdriver and push in on the pin onside the Quick disconnect. or better yet,push in on the poppit valve pin on the out post. see if it will give you a shower.

can you hear gas going into the keg?

No... there is no gas coming out of the regulator at all...

take the reg back and get a nother one. or if you have a LHBS you could run it by them on your way to take it back. they may find an easy fix.

take the reg back and get a nother one. or if you have a LHBS you could run it by them on your way to take it back. they may find an easy fix.

Took the regulator back and the Home Brew Shop replaced it for me... had them check the replacement to make sure it worked...

Back