First time kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonzajeb

Reaction score
Hi, i am in process of making my first kombucha tea and have a question, few days ago i received my scoby and starter tea package and when i tested it under a microscope all the bacteria were dead, but i decided to give it a chance and brew it anyway, and now 4 days later nothing is happening and still no living bacteria in the tea. So should i give it more time or is it a dud?

how much did you handle it, did it dry out or get contaminated, how much starter tea did you use? you should use gloves, wash, then rinse gloved hands with vinegar, then place it in your brew jar with starter tea from the last batch and add your sweet tea. 1 to 2 cups of starter tea to your 14 cups of sweet tea for a gallon of brew. make sure your sweet tea isn't too hot. 72-78 degrees is the norm

If you looked at it, and the cells were not viable, F it.
You're not out anything to let it sit a couple weeks to see if there might have been a couple cells you missed. But there's no guarantee. Have you contacted the seller about it?

I never wear gloves when handling my pellicles, but I rarely touch them unless I'm throwing them out. Washing your hands well in vinegar is great. It will get off the antibacterial residue you can't see, but is designed to linger.

how much did you handle it, did it dry out or get contaminated, how much starter tea did you use? you should use gloves, wash, then rinse gloved hands with vinegar, then place it in your brew jar with starter tea from the last batch and add your sweet tea. 1 to 2 cups of starter tea to your 14 cups of sweet tea for a gallon of brew. make sure your sweet tea isn't too hot. 72-78 degrees is the norm

I did not handle it at all, i just tested it straight out of the package, it did not get dry or contaminated, so i think i got some old dead scoby!!!

If you looked at it, and the cells were not viable, F it.
You're not out anything to let it sit a couple weeks to see if there might have been a couple cells you missed. But there's no guarantee. Have you contacted the seller about it?

I never wear gloves when handling my pellicles, but I rarely touch them unless I'm throwing them out. Washing your hands well in vinegar is great. It will get off the antibacterial residue you can't see, but is designed to linger.

Not yet, but i will contact the seller and ask for refund..

just let it be for awhile, see if it goes. my 1st batch took about 8 days for the ph to be right but the baby, albeit thin, started forming after about 3 days.

Back