First time Kegging successful!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coy-Boy

Reaction score
I kegged for the first time tonight. To bad this one will need to age for a YEAR! OG 1.100 FG 1.028. My hydrometer sample was TASTY!! It's going to be hard to leave this one alone.
Should I let it bulk age or do you guys think I should carb it and let it sit in the kegerator for the next year?

You are going to age it for a year in a keg? I would think maybe a month and it should be good and even that is being patient

I don't want to wait that long but everything I have read says that something this big should age for a year minimum. I am sure I will sample in a couple months to make sure its okay!

No I didn't. THANKS for the warning. I will go do that now. How many times do you need to purge, just a couple? Should I just hook it up to the gas and then pull the relief valve?

Yup- two to three times should be plenty. I think a year is overdoing it a little, but I would age it... Toss it in the closet where it's out of site and at a constant temp (or some place that meets those requirements).

Thanks for the input. I didn't want to wait that long anyway! Just going by what the recipe said in "Brewing Classic Styles". It said to wait 1 to 3 years. I will try it in a couple months.

Another wonderful thing about a keg- Try some, even drink half of it, take it off tap, age it, and come back to it later! Enjoy your draft!

PS If you need a second opinion on it aged, check out 'we don't need no stinking beer gun' thread and I will PM my address :) haha

Back