First time grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only have 6' to grow so I made a trellis that zig zags 16' to top of trellis. Hope this works out, plenty of sun, plenty of water used my compost, black gold plant mix with a sand base. My only concerns are the container size, over a foot of soil ( rhizome is planted 1" below surface) container is 5 gal.

There is an article in BYO this month about the exact same thing, a zig zag trellis to accommodate a low grow ceiling. Should work great for you.

Have never seen the zig zag trellis before! That's pretty cool, I'll have to go find my copy of BYO...

That setup looks great. I'm thinking about a watering system but think I'm going a little cheaper... I read about one on the AHA site, the guy used a bottling bucket and added some tubing, plugged the end and added a few holes where the plants where, looked like it was working pretty good. If it will soak for a few days before needing a fill, win.
Will see, i might just keep watering them too.
Nice job with your trellis.

Thanks, I'm in southern California 805, the hops are growing like crazy but I'm having a difficult time getting the vine to attach to the string, does it need to grow more before it latches on?

It should be long enough to begin winding on the diagonal line. Be careful when winding the bine, as it is fragile.

Back