First time gelatin user.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutchaser

Reaction score
Hi all, I have never used gelatin before and have a delicious IPA that's almost done fermenting but is a little more hazy than normal and I was gonna clear it up with some gelatin. My question can I put the gelatin in the Carboy while it's dry hoping or do I need to let it dry hop then transfer to keg then use gelatin. I just don't wont to hurt the hop aroma by putting it right on the dry hops. Thanks for any help.

Gelatin works best when the beer is very cold. I don't know if you cold crash, but if you do, dry hop it, cold crash it for a couple days, transfer the cold beer to the keg and add gelatin right to it in the keg. All of the haze should fall out to the bottom of the keg. Your first pint might have a little haze to it as your dip tube will suck up some of the sediment on the bottom, but after that it should be nice and clear.

If i bother clearing a beer with gelatin i'll often do it in conjunction with racking or do an extra rack vs putting the gel in one of my kegs. But do what suits you best.

gelatin works great cold or warm. cold crashing works great with our without gelatin imho. if you have chill haze, itll take a while to clear out at cold temps in a keg. i crash in my secondary for 2 weeks to keep the **** from collecting in my keg.

cheers.

most people use gelatin alongside a cold crash. there's a tutorial on here in some thread out there where Gavinc gives simple instructions on how to get the gelatin just right.
go with dry hopping, cold crash for 24 hours, gelatin for 24-48 hours, then keg. this way you leave most of the junk behind in your fv instead of in your keg. the reason you want to gelatin cold is because there is also chill haze particles that you want it to take out of suspension, which won't happen warm (hence the name chill haze).
if you're worried about it stripping any hop aromas (which it really shouldn't strip enough to be that perceptible), then just add some more hops to account for that.

+1

Learn from my mistake. When i first tried the combo, I coldcrashed, dry hopped then added gelatin. The result was crystal clear beer with bugger all hop aroma. The beer needs to be at room temp for max hop aroma transfer.

Dry hop few days, coldcrash few days then gelatin for 2 days.

Ive gelatined a bunch, and the process that worked best for me was to cold crash the beer for a few days, then add my gelatin mix to the cold beer. This results in crystal beer.

Ive since ceased using gelatin in hop-forward beers though, as I felt it stripped some hop potential. My pales/IPAs have been turning out very clear on their own as it is, but if I had some haziness, Im not worried about it.

Ive had success adding gelatin to both kegs and carboys. If you do it in the keg, you will have to pour off a few pints. If you do it in the carboy, the beer is pretty clear when transferred to the keg, and should be sufficient on the first pour. In both scenarios, the beer will continue to clear in the keg.

Ok thanks for the responses looks like ill cold crash then add the gelatin a couple days before i rack to keg.

Latest posts

Back