First time cider, have procedure questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallsc111

Reaction score
Ok I am planning on starting my first cider today but I still have some questions about what I need to do it. First if I am using apple juice to start do I need to heat up the apple juice to sterilize it? Next the recipe calls for apple juice concentrate for priming as well as to push up the gravity, what kind do I use? Can I use any old can of concentrate or do I need to find like a preservative free organic something? Finally is the fermenting temp the same for cider as beer?

Thanks guys!

MC

smallsc111 said:
Ok I am planning on starting my first cider today but I still have some questions about what I need to do it. First if I am using apple juice to start do I need to heat up the apple juice to sterilize it? Next the recipe calls for apple juice concentrate for priming as well as to push up the gravity, what kind do I use? Can I use any old can of concentrate or do I need to find like a preservative free organic something? Finally is the fermenting temp the same for cider as beer?

Thanks guys!

MC

No need to boil juice I use motts brand juice and it works great. What ever ya get be sure there are no sulfites it will kill the yeast. Next you shouldn't have any trouble at room temp. I have done a ton of cider so if ya have any more questions fire away.

Thanks! My house is 77 and more likely gonna be in the 80's over the summer, is that gonna be too hot?

For a real simple first run I would use Motts apple juice, corn sugar and some ale or champagne yeast. I've used regular table sugar too but timing is everything if you want sparking cider. I shoot for 6-7% alcohol for best flavor.

yeah I actually just got some organic apple juice that just has apple juice and vitamin c in it.

Same holds true for whatever concentrate. Pasteurized and vit C no problem but no preservatives. What yeast are you using?

If your ambient temps are going to be in the 70's and above.........look for a yeast that can tolerate higher fermentation temps. Chart http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=625&Itemid=42

Be careful though cause D-47 is listed to 86 but develops fusels over 70. Anything fermented at the temps you stated will likely need longer aging time to smooth and mellow out.

I recently did my first cider, store brand cider + 1 gallon motts juice to make up vol and cause store only had 4 gallons of cider. Anyway I used champagne yeast and it was fun watching it ferment for a full week. Looking forward to trying it. I was told to let it alone for 6-8 weeks . Can I leave it in primary or should I move to secondary? Sorry to step on your post but figured our recipes sounded similar and figured the answers would help us both.

I recently did my first cider, store brand cider + 1 gallon motts juice to make up vol and cause store only had 4 gallons of cider. Anyway I used champagne yeast and it was fun watching it ferment for a full week. Looking forward to trying it. I was told to let it alone for 6-8 weeks . Can I leave it in primary or should I move to secondary? Sorry to step on your post but figured our recipes sounded similar and figured the answers would help us both.

Are you going to carb in the bottle or drink it still?

If bottle carbing then let it age in the bottles. If going still, then on the lees for that long shouldn't hurt but may impart some flavor. If you have the secondary I'd rack it.

I leave mine on the lees until it clears then bottle condition and age in the bottles.

Ok the lowest I can get it down to is 71 degrees I have a t-shirt wicking water to cool it off. It is gonna be sparkling and I am going to put it in a champagne bottles. I am using montrachet dry active yeast for hopefully a dry cider. I am planning on getting a carboy next paycheck, what is my indication for when it is time to rack it to the secondary? I really can't make it any colder in my house because if I do the math 5 degrees is almost $100 over 2 months so 71-73 is going to have to work. It is fermenting fine at the moment I can only hope that it stays that way.

Should be fine with that temp. Are you going to use the yeast to carbonate? If so u will only use a primary fermentation. What I usually do.... I picked up a "thief" looks like a big eye dropper with out the rubber bulb. I use this to take a sample to see how much sugar is left. Either taste or use my hydrometer to tell me. Once it has the taste I'm looking for... I pour my batch into 2 liter plastic bottles and put them in the refrigerator with the cap on. Be sure every thing you use is sterilized. This will make your yeast dormant. Once the yeast has all settled to the bottom (a week or two) I like to pour my cider into new containers leaving the yeast behind so what I'm left with is a fizzy, sweet, clear, beverage. Leaving it in the yeast that settles will effect the flavor as the yeast begins releasing tannins. The reason for plastic is..No bottle bombs that way and you can feel how much pressure it has. Another side note if you started with an organic juice your clarity will be only as clear as the juice you started with. cheers and let me know how it turns out.

I'm not totally sold on the plastic but I think I'll rack it when the yeast goes dormant and put it in the fridge to settle then bottle. The organic juice was pretty clear so It should be fine

Should be fine with that temp. Are you going to use the yeast to carbonate? If so u will only use a primary fermentation. What I usually do.... I picked up a "thief" looks like a big eye dropper with out the rubber bulb. I use this to take a sample to see how much sugar is left. Either taste or use my hydrometer to tell me. Once it has the taste I'm looking for... I pour my batch into 2 liter plastic bottles and put them in the refrigerator with the cap on. Be sure every thing you use is sterilized. This will make your yeast dormant. Once the yeast has all settled to the bottom (a week or two) I like to pour my cider into new containers leaving the yeast behind so what I'm left with is a fizzy, sweet, clear, beverage.
Leaving it in the yeast that settles will effect the flavor as the yeast begins releasing tannins
. The reason for plastic is..No bottle bombs that way and you can feel how much pressure it has. Another side note if you started with an organic juice your clarity will be only as clear as the juice you started with. cheers and let me know how it turns out.

Actually, I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but yeast do not impart tannins. Tannins come from plant sources (like apple skin). Yeast can impart an off flavor of their own if left in contact with the cider (or beer, or whatever) too long. Tannins are more of a mouthfeel thing mostly asociated with astringency, but can be percieved as bitterness. I've made cider with "yeast-bite" before and while not undrinkable, it isn't pleasant. Kind of has a farmhouse quality. But racking to a secondary is a great way to avoid this. Also, many great brewers use plastic. If you use food grade stuff it won't effect flavor at all. But you should definitely either purge the container with CO2 or at least squeeze the remaining air out of the container to avoid oxidation.

OK took a gravity reading it is currently 1.007. It is still bubbling a little the airlock bubbles once every 20 seconds or so. I'm hoping to rack it tomorrow.

I just started my first cider today. 5 gallons of cider with no preservatives, added 2 pounds of honey to boost it. Using champagne yeast. If I go sparkling, do I do priming sugar just like when I brew beer? I was thinking about doing half still, half sparkling.

Back