First time, but it needs to be an Oatmeal Stout..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Borracho

Reaction score
I'm from the hot summer tropics of southern florida. I like strong, dark, beer. I don't know much about it but if it's dark I tend to love it. I get heart burn from regular lagers like Budwieser, Molson, etc..

I've never brewed before but I have worked in sterile environments to produce other things..so I understand that.

Now for me to make a good Oatmeal Stout and no break the bank what do I need to do? I assume it would be an all grain/full boil mash? Not that I know anything about that.. I know I don't want fiddle with malt extracts, I don't think it can produce anything I like - or better yet not worth me just going to the store and picking up.

I really like Pale Ale's too..

Thanks, this place is nice.

Do you have all the equipment for all-grain? that could get spendy.

I would have to disagree with you about extract batches. you can make a fine oatmeal stout with extract, but you may wish to do a partial mash with the oat flakes. Look around, I know there's at least one recipe for an oatmeal stout on the forums. Search the recipator database as well, and just do a google search for "oatmeal stout recipe".

Read howtobrew.com
If you have a LHBS (Local Home Brew Store) in your area you can have your Oatmeal Stout started as an extract this weekend for about ~$70.00 to $200.00 in capital equipment and ~$30 in ingredients.

Or you can order online from
AustinHomebrew.com
Morebeer.com
NorthernBrewer.com

These places also have fine kit beers and it is a good place to start. An outmeal stout is a great first beer choice.

Be sure to choose the place that gets you the best price including shipping:
See this post for a discount on a starter kit.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=41583

You can be drinking your beer in about 6 weeks.

If you are going all-grain, it's going to take more time and money to get things together. Almost all of the equiment you would use to make an extract will be used in an all-grain.

You can definitely make a great oatmeal stout with a partial mash, which really isn't that much harder than extract with steeping grains. Listen to olllllo, he knows what he's talkin' about.

Yea, I don't have any equipment - i'm a diy kinda guy, but I'll spend the $ where it's needed.

That timing would be perfect, I'd like to enjoy it for the end of the year.

I got some reading to do.. :) thanks

Extract does not make bad beer. Old, oxidized extract makes bad beer. I know several people that only do extract and routinely win awards (and the beer tastes good). Buy a kit from almost any of the online stores and you'll get good results. I favor AHS, because they have a tremendous selection of clones.

david_42 said:
Extract does not make bad beer. Old, oxidized extract makes bad beer. I know several people that only do extract and routinely win awards (and the beer tastes good). Buy a kit from almost any of the online stores and you'll get good results. I favor AHS, because they have a tremendous selection of clones.

So if I go to AHS and buy the Black Ale that is on sale seasonal right now, beside a place to boil, and a place to ferment the beer all I need is this kit? I notice it has a few options....not sure if I should change anything, add more alcohol??

It seems easier to buy an extract kit, and for the purpose of having a nice home brew by the end of the year I'll probably succeed this way more than with an ag at this point...

got one of the squirts with an ear infection so reading will have to wait for this week..

is there a different in wheat beers? why do some give me heartburn and other not?

I made a nice Oatmeal stout using steeped grain/extract. 1 week primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in bottles....done!

Back