First time brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrritableGourmet

Reaction score
I made my first batch of Ed's Apfelwein on Wednesday and it's been happily bubbling away. I took my first reading today (day 4) using my DIY Vacuum Sample Getter Device (a post for another time) and the SG has dropped from 1.062 to 1.020.

I read an article on the HBT blog on secondaries that said to rack to a secondary when the ABV is 2/3 to what you want it to be and let it condition and finish from there. I'm aiming for a sweeter cider, so around 1.010 (7.1% ABV) FG.

I know that the "Primary only or secondary" is a question that gets asked a lot here but I'm not confident in the dry it out, condition, rack and backsweeten method. I think the get rid of all the trub, let the cider ferment and condition, then stop when it gets to where you want it is the better (and more scientist-y) option, in my mind at least.

Given that, what are your opinions as to when I should transfer to the secondary or if I even should?

Thanks!

...I should confess that some of the hydrometer sample just happened to splash just right to get a small cup or so of cider in my mouth. I cannot say it was a wholly unpleasant experience.

...I should confess that some of the hydrometer sample just happened to splash just right to get a small cup or so of cider in my mouth. I cannot say it was a wholly unpleasant experience.

No shame in that... I actually never return the hydrometer sample, just in case of infection. At least that's my excuse.

Back