First time brewing, forgot to take a reading before closing the lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillWilly

Reaction score
Should I take a chance and open it up for a reading or wait until I rack into my secondary?

I brewed from a kit and am getting a lot of activity from the airlock.

Don't worry about it this time around. If you brewed an extract recipe, your OG will inevitably be very close to what the recipe sheet indicates.

Don't worry about it this time around. If you brewed an extract recipe, your OG will inevitably be very close to what the recipe sheet indicates.

That is what I thought. Guess I just needed to confirm my gut. Thanks!

Question for you, what are you brewing?
Depending on what you are brewing and planning on doing to it, secondary may not be necessary.

IFMracin said:
Question for you, what are you brewing?
Depending on what you are brewing and planning on doing to it, secondary may not be necessary.

This is my first brew and I'm just trying to learn the mechanics. So, I'm not deviating from the recipe this time. It is Midwest's Hexnut Brown kit.

I forgot to take a reading my first brew also, it was Wilde Irish red ale. It was bomb, but I took a reading later. Don't trip you should be fine

Ignore the kit instructions with regard to secondary. Secondary is more work and more opportunity to do something wrong with little to no benefit. Leave the beer in primary for at least 10 days and longer is probably going to be better. The additional time lets the yeast clean up and settle out out for a cleaner beer.

Oh, and the only time you can read your OG is before fermentation. Once the yeast start tearing into the sugar and converting to alcohol the gravity starts dropping. But like the others said, it's impossible to miss your target with extract unless your volume is off so don't worry about it.

Back