First time brew - Coopers lager.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoastedOak

Reaction score
Hey guys... I've been making wine exclusively for about a year and a couple of weeks ago I bought a Mr. Beer kit. I had a hard time refusing the 40%-off sale so I put together a couple of batches (2 gallons each) but this thing is really a toy.. anyways, I went out and bought a can of Coopers Lager and started the primary fermentation in one of my spare carboys (23 litres). I really should have made a proper blow off tube because it's been a real pain having to baby the airlock getting jammed full of froth and yeast.

I've been wondering about the yeasties that have settled on the bottom.... at any point during the fermentation should they be swirled/jiggled back into suspension or should I just leave it all there? I had some idea (not sure where its from) that when making beer that the settled yeast should be agitated every once in a while.

I've just left it as it was because I wasn't sure and the airlock is bubbling fine (after 5 days or so.)

You shouldn't agitate or swirl the yeast back into suspension unless your fermentation is stuck. The only true way to tell if the fermentation is stuck is by taking gravity readings.

Back