First Time Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chmcgrat

Reaction score
Hi, guys.
So I am wanting to bottle my second batch of hard cider (my first batch using the proper sanitary methods and equipment.) I want to carbonate it in the bottles, so I was hoping to be able to reuse some empty pry-off-cap MGD bottles. Is this a good idea, or am I better off to buy fresh unused bottles? Also, any tips on which type of capper to use? I haven't purchased one yet and I don't know the first thing about how to actually cap them.

Any input is appreciated! Thank you :)

i am 99% sure mgd will not work as they are twist off (where im from) and clear bottles. capping twist offs is a lost cause. I have a "red capper" for lack of better term, and it works, ive capped a couple hundred beers, but ive since moved on to kegging as im sure you some day will. You are just starting your journey down the rabbit hole, i recommend you drink/find some bottles that have similar necks as samuel adams

+1 to thepope, twist offs can be a problem. Using old bottles is fine as long as they are washed well, I went to a recycling center and got lots of pry offs for free, all they needed was a good cleaning.

If you haven't bought a capper yet then you still have time to acquire some pry off bottles. I also have "the red" capper, 2 actually they work well.

i am 99% sure mgd will not work as they are twist off (where im from) and clear bottles. capping twist offs is a lost cause

As I said, they are pry-off, not twist-off. Is there any reason why cider can't be bottled in clear bottles?

All the cider kits I have seen, including the MR Beer kit that I have, come with clear bottles.

MGD pry off cap bottles are most likely the older bottles made with thicker glass than the newer twist offs.

The Super Agata bench capper would be a good purchase. A bench capper can securely cap all styles of bottles that use a 26 mm crown cap. The wing cappers cannot grip the flange on some styles of bottles used by US breweries.

A 29 mm bell is also available to cap some European style bottles.

Back