First time BIAB issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middie8

Reaction score
I tried the Northern Brewer Kolsch 3 gallon BIAB. I followed the directions but ended up with 4 gallons. I did the boil outside and it was quite cold and windy. Could that have caused it not to boil off? In the future if that happens should I just continue boiling until it goes down?

I tried the Northern Brewer Kolsch 3 gallon BIAB. I followed the directions but ended up with 4 gallons. I did the boil outside and it was quite cold and windy. Could that have caused it not to boil off? In the future if that happens should I just continue boiling until it goes down?

The most important cause of boil off is the amount of heat you are applying. Yes you should have either increased the heat or boiled longer. It's OK to end up with a bit more than planned for. Your beer will be a bit lower in alcohol but you will have more to bottle so when you lose some to the trub at the bottom of your fermenter it will still make the amount of bottles as you were planning on.

Back