first time all grain!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Hey all. Hope you're having a great weekend. Right now my very first all-grain batch is in the cooler/mash tun, hopefully mashing nicely. I'm a bit nervous about it. But I'm having FUN! Wish me luck!

monk

Wah!

That was pretty cool, but it took forever! I really underestimated the time it would take, mostly because I kept reading over directions multiple times and generally being inefficient (hopefully my mash wasn't!). It took so long, my parents showed up for a little dinner get together and we were bbqing and then eating and all the while I was getting up to add hops to the brew or turn on the wort chiller.

Well, I hope it all went well. It should be a tasty amber ale, I think. Here's the recipe:

8 lb. Maris Otter
2 oz. Carapils
2 oz. Amber malt
6 oz. Crystal 120L
6 oz. British Crystal 75L
1 oz. Aromatic Malt

.5 oz. Magnum 60 min
.5 oz. Willamette 20 min
1 oz. Willamette 2 min

US 56 dry yeast

We'll see how it turns out. One mistake I made was to only boil the Magnum for 60 min instead of 90. It'll be much less bitter, I suppose. Oh well. Malty is good, too! :)

Thanks to all who post questions and answers re: all grain brewing. I read a lot of them and got lots of good advice, especially the Partial Mash for extract brewers thread.

monk

Back