First taste of first batch of Apfelwien

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
After 5 weeks in my carboy, I finally took a hydrometer sample of my first batch of apfelwien. It's down to 1.002 or so, so it's not quite there yet. Tastes absolutely wonderfull though. Very smooth taste, and even though it's not quite done fermenting, it's crystal clear. It's been fermenting fairly cool in my basement, probably in the upper 50's to low 60's (yeah, I know, I need a thermometer...). This batch is for a very special party coming up in two weeks, my grandparents 60th wedding aniversary. I've got my kegging equipment pretty much all set up (everything but the kegs, which I'll be picking up this coming week from Iechyd Da). I know it probably won't be quite done fermenting by next weekend, but it's clear and tastes good, so would it be a problem if I sorbate it and keg it next weekend to force carb? I actually like the sweetness where it's at now, not sure I want it too much dryer. Should I sorbate it now to stop fermentation, or let it go and just keg it next weekend. It'll probably be gone by the end of the party, so I'm not really worried about it fermenting in the keg.

TIA!!

Go ahead and keg it and carb it now. It will be chilled, so fermentation will almost stop anyway. Be sure to remember the general warnings, or people will be calling YOU a mu%$#*(&ker in the morning. :D

It'll have to wait till I get the kegs. Iechyd Da is out of town till Tuesday, and my kegs are in his garage. I have everything else. Got a fridge, tank, and regulator for free off Craigslist, and picked up hose and fittings and such today and got it all assembled. I'm going to be doing a keg of rootbeer for the kids too.

I have 10ft of 3/16" line with a picnic tap for two kegs. I'm thinking that should get me about 24psi of resistance or so. I'm thinking 25psi should be good to carbonate the soda and apfelwien to about 3 volumes of CO2 at the 40ish degrees that they should be, which should be good for the rootbeer. Might be a bit excessive for the apfelwien, but I only have a single regulator, so it'll have to do. Should be more like apfelchampaigne :D The only other option I have is to use a CO2 tire inflator I have to serve the apfelwien still out of the keg, but I'm thinking carbonated would be preferable amongst my family.

So many options. Well, I'll figure something out. :mug:

Back