First Sour brew.. not sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burloch

Reaction score
Hey guys. Hope someone can help me out. I'm doing a Gose kit (Gose gone wild from Brooklyn Brew Shop) yesterday was bottling day. I did the mash, sparge, etc. And I added the Lactobacillus exact as per the instructions. When bottling/conditioning yesterday, I gave it a little taste and did detect any sourness at all. Is that normal? Will it sour during conditioning? Any ideas why my Gose didn't taste sour? Thanks, and Merry Christmas

Sure! So as per the directions, I did the Mash, Sparge, and added the Lactobacillus from a capsule that came with the kit. All of this was done on 12/05. I let it sit at room temp for 4 days, and on 12/09 I did the boil.

I had pretty good results with a Saison using L. Plantarum. Mash, sparge, chill, dose with a capsule + yeast and waited 5 days. Then added dry hops and hop tea. Co-souring method. No need to boil. Hops stop the bacteria process. Check out Lambic and Wild forum on here. Loads of info.

In the case of the OP’s sour, the boil would have halted the souring and I would have assumed 4 days would be sufficient to sour with healthy lacto. Hopefully one of the sour experts chime in, co-souring after the boil is my only sour experience and results in a seriously tart beer if hops aren’t used.

Dan

Sure! So as per the directions, I did the Mash, Sparge, and added the Lactobacillus from a capsule that came with the kit. All of this was done on 12/05. I let it sit at room temp for 4 days, and on 12/09 I did the boil.

Any idea what room temp was? Lacto tends to be more active at higher temps.
I hold my Berliner Weiss sours at 100ish for a couple of days and get a good amount of sour.
As noted above, if the sour didn't develop in the 4 day window before the boil it isn't going to get any more sour unless you added bacteria after the boil.

I'm looking at your process " Mash, Sparge, and added the Lactobacillus from a capsule " and this to me looks incomplete. After the wort is in my kettle I always check/adjust PH, bring to a boil and cool down just to kill any competing bacteria. Then when I'm about 90ish degrees I will pitch my lacto starter (2000ML flask full to the top and tinfoil covered held at 90 degrees for at least 24 hours) and purge kettle air space with CO2 and seal the lid with tin foil. I run on electric so it is literally set it and for get it. If I want a medium sour I will let it go 24 to 26 hours, if I let it go another 12 hours or so I gets really sour. Did you do a short boil on your wort and if so was it after your lacto pitch? It could just be your lacto pitch was a dud also. This picture was a very health lacto culture before boil.

Attachments

• 20201207_115338.jpg
    20201207_115338.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 26
Such helpful info, thanks guys! So to answer some of the questions:

-My temp was about 70 as I just had it in my basement.

-I did not check the PH level, I didn't know I had it.

- As far as the pic above, that superiorsat posted, thats EXACTLY what mine looked like before boil.

Thanks again so much to all who chimed in

Looking at the website, I don't see where it specifies which Lactobacillus is included in the kit. If plantarum, then room temp is fine, if something else, your temp was too cool.

Neither do I see from the website if there were hops included in the boil - the website has a pictorial of 4 hops, two of which are green and the other two are white, but it is described as dry- hopped. Did you add hops before souring? If so, it wouldn't sour. L. plantarum is extremely hop intolerant and won't produce acid in the presence of hops, and the other strains of Lacto, which can be more hop tolerant, won't sour at 70 degrees in just four days.

If it was plantarum and there were no hops, before souring well, then I can't help.

UPDATE

So today was the day we could finally drink the beer.. it had ZERO sour flavor to it unfortunately. Been doing research and reading and trying to figure out exactly what went wrong !

UPDATE

So today was the day we could finally drink the beer.. it had ZERO sour flavor to it unfortunately. Been doing research and reading and trying to figure out exactly what went wrong !

Sorry man , that sucks. If your looking for an easy sour check out co pitching sour. Ive brewed multiple blueberry sours. I have a mango sour in the fermenter as we speak.

Sorry man , that sucks. If your looking for an easy sour check out co pitching sour. Ive brewed multiple blueberry sours. I have a mango sour in the fermenter as we speak.

Thanks, I'll check that out! Yeah man really sucks. We were looking forward to this batch

Back