First Shot at making my own IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeygreg44

Reaction score
Here is my first shot at making up my own recipe. Any feedback would be great. I am going to try to brew this next weekend.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: House IPA
Brewer: GREG
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.95 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.20 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.078 SG
Estimated Color: 11.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5.00 gal Milwaukee, WI Water 1 -
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 80.0 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 3 13.3 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.7 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 18.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 32.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 9.0 IBUs
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 10 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 11 -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.75 qt of water at 168.2 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 4 steps (Drain mash tun , 1.02gal, 1.02gal, 1.02gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's too much crystal malt. I'd go with 5-7% of crystal, and not much more although some people like up to 10% in some IPAs.

With your hops, one 60 minute addition is good, bittering up to 30 IBUs or so with that one addition. Then, it's good to add a lot of late hops and/or flame out hops for maximum hops flavor and aroma.

I love centennial and cascade together!

I'd do something like this:

Bittering hops 60 minutes (I'd use something like magnum here)- 30-35 IBUs
1 oz centennial 15 minutes
1 oz cascade 10 minutes
1 oz centennial 0 minutes
1 oz cascade 0 minutes
dryhop with an ounce of each for 5-7 days.

I agree with Yooper. That's way too much crystal for an IPA and you'll only end up taking the focus away from the hops. Personally, I'd swap the amounts of Crystal and Munich. Munich adds a beautiful, subtle malt character to IPAs without being cloying and sweet.

+1 first thing I thought when reading recipe was man I love to see some magnum in the boil..

I wouldn't do a full body rest for an IPA. Most people seem to shoot for 150-152.

1.078 is a very big IPA (technically, that's out of style for IPA, DIPA teritory), and I would defnintely go lower in mash temp if that's what you want (147 degrees, 75 minutes?). I would drop the crystal to about 1/2 pound and not add anything to replace it for an IPA, or drop the crystal to 1/2 and add 2-row for a DIPA. You might even consider table sugar in that case.

I'm still playing around with hop stands myself, but the collective wisdom favors them strongly. The idea is to add hops after flame out but before adding to the fermenter, this is sometimes done near boiling, sometimes after a little chilling. I got a lot of good feed back when I posted about them, here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/hop-stand-temperatures-times-516268/

I would summarize that by saying: add 2 ounces of cascade and centenial in a hop stand, using a stand time and temperature that will work on your system.

Overall, great attempt at your first recipe! I love the simplicity of it; you're not trying to do too much for your first one, which will really help you out to fine tune your recipe going forward.

I have just a couple suggestions to help out...

1. Are you going to do a yeast starter? 1 package of 1056 isn't going to do nearly as good of a job as you want. A proper starter would; or some kind of dry yeast; or multiple packages of 1056.

I wouldn't do a full body rest for an IPA. Most people seem to shoot for 150-152.

2. On the hot side, this is the overwhelming thing that sticks out to me. Unless there's an intended taste you want that I'm not seeing, 156F is a very high mash temperature for an IPA style. I mash mine at 148F - I like a nice dry IPA. I think philo is correct in saying that "most" people probably go between 150F-152F.

A mash temp of 156F coupled with 2 lbs of crystal (as others have mentioned) will make a very sweet IPA which I think will drown out the hops.

I rest my house IPA at 153- 154F. But, I do like a bit more body. And I use about 11% crystal. Many would say no more than 5- 10% crystal. But, this is what works for me.

All - Thanks for all of the responses! I have taken all of this into consideration. I went with the magnum hops for my 60 min hop addition, 1 lb of crystal and 1 lb of munich 20L. I am also going to be mashing at 150F. 1 also made a 1.5 liter starter the other day. Well brew day starts here in a few minutes. Ill post back on how it goes!!

All - Thanks for all of the responses! I have taken all of this into consideration. I went with the magnum hops for my 60 min hop addition, 1 lb of crystal and 1 lb of munich 20L. I am also going to be mashing at 150F. 1 also made a 1.5 liter starter the other day. Well brew day starts here in a few minutes. Ill post back on how it goes!!

Sounds great!

Germantown and brewing English Ale...The Horror, the Blasphemy!!!

Brew on!! Nice recipe. Munich malt ties it to the Fatherland, so you're good to go.

I agree with Yooper. That's way too much crystal for an IPA and you'll only end up taking the focus away from the hops. Personally, I'd swap the amounts of Crystal and Munich. Munich adds a beautiful, subtle malt character to IPAs without being cloying and sweet.

Totally agree. Munich is a great malt, I use it in a lot of my grainbills. Adds a reddish nice color too.

Back