First scoby development. Is this looking OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voodoogruv

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at developing a SCOBY. I do homebrew beer, but am transitioning into non-intoxicants. I'm familiar to brewing, but this is a whole new world. Tell me if this looks ok please. Color is hard to really see here, but it is primarily off white and fairly uniform. No signs of mold that I can tell.

image.jpg

I just started growing my first scoby a couple of days ago, so I can't help out out. From what I have read and looked at online it seems like yours is doing well.

I have been brewing beer off and on for over a decade. In the last few years we have added sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented pickles (best pickles ever), and mead and kombucha this year. My wife also makes her own yoghurts and is thinking of doing the sour dough starters. Just a couple of fermenting fools I guess.

We have been making our own sausage and grinding our own hamburger, but I haven't cured or aged any of the sausages yet. I just grind, pack, and freeze.

Sw you sound just like me but my wife thinks I'm nuts. A great tip on the sausage is I cold smoke the meat before I grind and add spices, you won't believe how good it is !!!

Awesome. Thanks. I transferred it into a larger batch of tea on Tuesday, and am looking forward to beginning tasting.

Did a taste test today. It was still really sweet, but tartness and flavor developing nicely.

Latest posts

Back