First recipe - opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jq1n

Reaction score
Hey all,
I took the basic frame of a recipe, changed amounts of the grain to have more, changed the hops around completely.
Looking for opinions (like if the hallertau addition is a waste, which I kind of suspect)
Any refinements I should make? Kind of want to just make it and see what happens. :)
Thx

8lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1 oz Centennial - Boil 60 min.
0.50 oz Citra - Boil 15 min
0.50 oz Chinook - Boil 5 min
0.50 oz hallertau - Boil 5 min
Us-05 Yeast.

Mash at 150 to 152.

Dry hopped 1.5 to 2oz

Woops! Forgot the recipe! Here it is lol

Hey all,
I took the basic frame of a recipe, changed amounts of the grain to have more, changed the hops around completely.
Looking for opinions (like if the hallertau addition is a waste, which I kind of suspect)
Any refinements I should make? Kind of want to just make it and see what happens. :)
Thx

whats the recipe and what are your changes?

20% crystal malt is quite a lot. Hallertau at 5 will get drowned by Chinook and Citra. If you had 2oz of Hallertau that could compete with with 0.5oz Chinook :-D

20% crystal malt is quite a lot. Hallertau at 5 will get drowned by Chinook and Citra. If you had 2oz of Hallertau that could compete with with 0.5oz Chinook :-D

Delicious style! Lol. Not really sure what I'm making. Haven't delved into style guides really.
This was a Kona Big Wave clone from this forum that I made already once. I was amazing btw. I highly recommend it. I modded it a bit. I upped the grain and added more hops in different spots.i wanted it a little more bitter and a bit of pine taste/aroma as well. I figured this would do it.
So should I move the hallertau or leave it out? I kind of thought it would be a waste in that spot.
Thanks for the input. I've made 14 Ag brews and starting to try get adventurous
I've pretty much followed recipes up until this point

Delicious style! Lol. Not really sure what I'm making. Haven't delved into style guides really.
This was a Kona Big Wave clone from this forum that I made already once. I was amazing btw. I highly recommend it. I modded it a bit. I upped the grain and added more hops in different spots.i wanted it a little more bitter and a bit of pine taste/aroma as well. I figured this would do it.
So should I move the hallertau or leave it out? I kind of thought it would be a waste in that spot.
Thanks for the input. I've made 14 Ag brews and starting to try get adventurous
I've pretty much followed recipes up until this point

Alright, we can work with this!

Yeah, I would cut the Crystal 20L down to start. 2 lbs is a lot. I know the Big Wave recipe you're talking about, and I always found it strange that such a light beer called for so much crystal malt. If you're looking for a bit of a malty backbone for the hops to play on, may I suggest cutting the crystal 20 down to say 1/2 a pound, and then maybe throwing in 1/2 pound of Vienna or Munich?

Hop-wise, I'd say that hallertau will get lost in those other punchy hops. Chinook will get you your desired hop profile, but I say go big or go home with it, throw more in there near the end :rockin: If you want to keep the Hallertau in there I would definitely increase the amount.

Alright, we can work with this!

Yeah, I would cut the Crystal 20L down to start. 2 lbs is a lot. I know the Big Wave recipe you're talking about, and I always found it strange that such a light beer called for so much crystal malt. If you're looking for a bit of a malty backbone for the hops to play on, may I suggest cutting the crystal 20 down to say 1/2 a pound, and then maybe throwing in 1/2 pound of Vienna or Munich?

Hop-wise, I'd say that hallertau will get lost in those other punchy hops. Chinook will get you your desired hop profile, but I say go big or go home with it, throw more in there near the end :rockin: If you want to keep the Hallertau in there I would definitely increase the amount.

So maybe this? (I've ordered already but hops come in 1oz packets so....Maybe keep the hallertau since I will have it anyway, but up it to an ounce) I can grab some more hops at the local shop

. 5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
. 5 lbs Munich
1.0 oz Chinook - Boil 5 min
1.0 oz hallertau - Boil 5 min
Us-05 Yeast.

Mash at 150 to 152.

Dry hopped 1.5 to 2oz Citra

How that look?

So maybe this? (I've ordered already but hops come in 1oz packets so....Maybe keep the hallertau since I will have it anyway, but up it to an ounce) I can grab some more hops at the local shop

. 5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
. 5 lbs Munich
1.0 oz Chinook - Boil 5 min
1.0 oz hallertau - Boil 5 min
Us-05 Yeast.

Mash at 150 to 152.

Dry hopped 1.5 to 2oz Citra

How that look?

Looks good to me. The only other thing I'd be weary of is a massive Citra dry hop like that. It'll smell great, but Citra is pretty overpowering, so it may overtake any aroma from the Hallertau and Chinook. If that's okay with you, then go ahead. If not, then I'd say split your dry hop maybe 1 oz Citra to 2 oz of something like Centennial or Chinook.

Back