First Recipe - Need Opinions

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

aTeam

Reaction score
So I've done an all grain kit with 13lb of grains, .5 oz magnum and 3 intervals of 1 oz citra. It came out great as a pale ale so I decided to make a hoppier IPA while still using citra.

My efficiency was a bit low the first time around. I brew in a bag and will sparge water over the grains more rather than just squeeze the bag to try and up efficiency this time around. So I'm taking a middle of the road and assuming 60% efficiency this time. If it's higher, well I can cope with higher ABV :tank:

Putting together a grain bill seemed intimidating at first but I put this together after reading a few threads about various qualities and purposes to the grains. I plan on having them sent to me milled.

60m @ ~152F
10 lb American Pale
5 lb 2-row
0.5 lb carapils
0.5 lb crystal 60

This puts my SRM around 11.3.

For some reason I was motivated to put El Dorado as my bittering hop.

0.5 oz El Dorado @ 60m
1.5 oz total of citra, mosaic, galaxy (0.5 oz of each) + 0.25oz El Dorado @ 15m
1.5 oz total of citra, mosaic, galaxy (0.5 oz of each) @ 5m
3 oz total of citra, mosaic, galaxy for dry hop (1 oz of each) + 0.25 El Dorado

So total 1 oz El Dorado, 2 oz of citra, 2 oz of mosaic, 2 oz of galaxy.
I'm wondering if I should use more of the hops in the boil and less in the dry hop. Apparently I have 2 oz wai-iti in my shopping cart, but I think an addition of that might be too much lol. Also considering cutting 2-3 lb of 2-row out. Please share your opinions!

lumpher

Reaction score
I'd consider changing that c120 to 40 or 60, or more likely dropping it and adding .5 lb honey malt

OP
A

aTeam

Reaction score
I'd consider changing that c120 to 40 or 60, or more likely dropping it and adding .5 lb honey malt
I started with 40 but I'd need 2lb to get the desired SRM. That's way too much right? I should I just do .5-1lb of 40 and have a lighter beer?

.5lb of 60 seems to give me 9 SRM. thats pretty good

lumpher

Reaction score
Don't worry about srm, unless you're going for a competition, in which case you could use an oz or 2 of black malt. That little will just color it with no flavor.

OP
A

aTeam

Reaction score
Alright I edited the OP to c60 1/2 lb. Also considering victory and no crystal. Though I'm not sure how much to use
Thoughts on the hops and timing/quantities?

signpost

Reaction score
The way you have edited, it looks like a nice recipe. I'm just wondering why you are splitting between pale ale malt and 2-row. There isn't much difference between them. No reason not to go with it, but I'm not sure you'll notice a big difference if you went with all of one of those instead of a mix.

OP
A

aTeam

Reaction score
The way you have edited, it looks like a nice recipe. I'm just wondering why you are splitting between pale ale malt and 2-row. There isn't much difference between them. No reason not to go with it, but I'm not sure you'll notice a big difference if you went with all of one of those instead of a mix.
To be honest I'm not totally sure of the differences between the two. My understanding is that pale male is a bit maltier and plain 2-row is well, plainer or simpler. I guess my thought is that 15lb of pale malt would be a lot, but I do want some maltiness, so 10lb is good with 5lb of 2-row.

Cardassian

Reaction score
Hey there, how often are you stirring the grains during the mash? Just asking as I've found I hit 80% efficiency biab if I remember to stir the mash every 10 minutes (no sparge) but drop down to mid 60s if I only stir a couple of times.
I also let the store know the grains are for biab and ask for them to be milled fine.

OP
A

aTeam

Reaction score
I probably only stirred 3-4 times. I'll definitely try to get them to do a finer mill. Man I really want a mill.