First really good beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VirginiaHops1

Reaction score
I'm finally drinking my first grain BIAB batch(5th batch overall), and my first beer that I really feel like is actually really good. Recipe is below for reference, which I put together from several different threads here based on what hops I had and what taste I was trying to achieve. I was shooting for a tropical/fruitier IPA style, which my wife likes and I do as well(although I love heavier IPAs too). It came out really good and my wife really likes it which is a huge score if it'll cut down on our wine bill. I used brewersfriend to calculate the recipe. The calculated IBUs are high but most of them are from whirlpool hops, and although it has some bitterness it's not overpowering and probably right on the money.

This site has been invaluable for learning and refining my process. Every brew I've tried to do something to improve it and have seen results(I think). So glad I found this place. Thanks for everyone who contributes and especially all the vets who still frequent here to help us beginners out.

Original Gravity: 1.060 Final Gravity: 1.010 ABV (standard): 6.59% IBU (tinseth): 89.32 SRM (morey): 7.93 Batch size: 2.5 gallons

5 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 73.4%
6 oz American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 34 40 5.5%
4 oz American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 3.7%
3 oz Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late addition) 46 0.5 2.8%
1 lb American - Vienna 35 4 14.7%

Total Hops Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
0.5 oz Centennial Pellet 7.3 Boil 15 min 15.16
0.5 oz Cascade Pellet 8.1 Boil 10 min 12.29
1 oz Citra Pellet 13.8 Whirlpool 41.34
0.5 oz El Dorado Pellet 13.7 Whirlpool 20.52
0.5 oz Centennial Pellet 7.3 Dry Hop 5 days
1 oz Citra Pellet 13.8 Dry Hop 5 days
1 oz El Dorado Pellet 13.7 Dry Hop 5 days

It came out really good and my wife really likes it which is a huge score if it'll cut down on our wine bill.
I tried to brew a delicious IPA to accomplish the same thing... Our wine bill came down *slightly*, but my hops expenditure skyrocketed as did the level of meddling she does in my brewing schedule and recipe formulation :eek:

Check out this year's July-August issue of BYO magazine for a ton of great info on late-hopping techniques; I brewed the Sommerbier recipe and it turned out awesome. As long as your recipe has a good strong malty backbone, don't be afraid to go heavy on whirlpool additions and dry-hopping, they will not contribute significantly to the IBU's/perceived bitterness, just tons of aroma and flavor.

upload_2018-9-4_16-35-54.png

Last edited:
Congrats! Its a super good feeling. Brew on!

My neighbor came over and tried my IPA out of a keg, told me he swore it was an IPA from our local brewery :D:D

Congrats, I have my first BIAB IPA in the fermenter right now and I can't wait to taste the difference between my previous extract batches and this one.

I tried to brew a delicious IPA to accomplish the same thing... Our wine bill came down *slightly*, but my hops expenditure skyrocketed as did the level of meddling she does in my brewing schedule and recipe formulation :eek:

Check out the May-June issue of BYO magazine for a ton of great info on late-hopping techniques; I brewed the Sommerbier recipe and it turned out awesome. As long as your recipe has a good strong malty backbone, don't be afraid to go heavy on whirlpool additions and dry-hopping, they will not contribute significantly to the IBU's/perceived bitterness, just tons of aroma and flavor.

View attachment 586696
is not May-June it is July - August issue look:
https://byo.com/product/july-august-18/

Congrats. Now the hard part...trying to replicate it. Brew on.

Back