first real all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
From extract to baib to my first cooler as a mash/lauter ton today. All went well and the bayou classic sure beats the old stovetop. Here are the questions if anybody has the answers. I have 13 lbs. of grist and dough in with 3.5 gallons of water. I hit my mark of 152 degrees. It held well and I figured I'll try a mashout. 1st gallon of boiling water doesn't bring it up to the 168-170 range so I do another .5 gallons and it still doesn't get it up there. So what the *&%^. No worries I'll Vorlouf and get on with it. I batch sparge with 185 and temps are good. I get 8 pre boil gallons. I boil for 90 min. with appropriate hop additions and cool. Somehow I end up with 4.5 gallons in the fermenter. I did have about a gallon of trub in the pot that i didn't transfer. Should I have ? Is this normal and do I simply account for this next brew? I didn't boil too agressively I don't think. Am I missing something obvious? Do I need to do a mashout?

Sounds about right. Online calculator told me to start with about 8 gallons for a 60min boil to get 5.5 gallons.

It sounds like your boil off rate is pretty high telling me that you could probably reduce your boil temp next time. On an average 15% loss you should have come out with about 6.4 gallons after a 90 min boil. The boil only needs to be a mild roll. When I boil it hardly seems like it's moving. I would check that out first. Also, did you have any boilovers? The trub in the pot afterwards is fine although it doesn't hurt the beer to have a little in the fermenter since it will eventually drop out.

Good luck on your brew!

I tought my boil was gentle. I was going into the cooling phase at just about 7 gallons and was sure i was going to have too much. Not too sure what I did wrong. Should be good beer though.

I don't think you did anything wrong. You had 4.5 gallons of cooled wort after leaving a gallon or so behind with trub. That would have given you 5.5 gallons thereabouts. You could just transfer all the wort...trub and all to your fermenter next time.

Also, I shoot for 7.5 gallons pre-boil. For my system, I end up with exactly 5 gallons at bottling time (minus grav. samples, trub loss, etc.):mug:

Back