first post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyin' Lion

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm relatively new to homebrewing and the extent of my experience is limited to extract brewing. My first batch was a Hefe weizen that had a funky aftertaste (due to contamination during bottling) but I still drank it out of spite. Been a member/lurker for a while but never had anything to contribute and it's been over a year since I'd brewed anything. I have recently brewed/bottled a clone of Murphy's stout and currently have a clone of Harpoon IPA in the fermenter. Look forward to chatting you all up and hope someday I can contribute some to this forum.

Jason

Welcome! Probably the most mportant thing is beginning with good sanitation. I have brewed off and on for 25 years and still do mainly extract kits. Lots of brewers here with loads of experience. Several appear to be just a step away from opening microbreweries. I think brewing failures are a real rarity. It seems more a matter of adjusting to new tastes. I try to sample at least 2 new microbrews per month. And so far even my failures are better than most micros I have tried. But each brew only seems to get better. :cross:

I was surprised when my first brew was contaminated but I had sterilized the bottles three days before bottling and then let them sit (now I know better). I had half a bottle left after bottling so rather than cap it I just drank it and didn't notice any "contaminated" taste.

Jason

Welcome aboard! I just posted to your other thread before I saw your Welcome Post!

Back