First Post After Intro - Muntons Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutdriver

Reaction score
I got started in this new hobby after my son gave me a Mr Beer as a gift.

Decided if I was going to do this I needed to learn a whole lot more. I bought a basic starter kit at my local brew store. One can of LME was included in the deal and I picked out Muntons Connisseurs Bock Beer. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and impressed with the great information. I would like to enhance this first batch after Mr Beer and have come up with the following recipe. I would appreciate some comments and suggestions. Basically am I on the right track for a decent tasting beer.

1ea 1.8 Kg Can of Muntons Bock Beer LME
3 lbs Muntons Spraymalt Extract Plain Amber
1 lbs Muntons Spraymalt Plain Dark
0.5 lbs Corn Sugar
0.75 oz Tettnang 4.8% Hops 30 min boil
0.25 oz Tettnang 4.8% 10 min boil
Safale US-05 Yeast
Made as a 5.5 gallon batch

I am calculating an original gravity of 1.053 and a final gravity of 1.014. Does this sound about right?

I was planning a 30 minute total full boil of the water and DME adding the LME with about 10 minutes remaining along with the remaining 0.25 oz Tettnang. My rationale for adding the LME late is that it is avoid boiling off too much of the Hops added to the Bock LME. Cool wort quickly. Transfer cooled wort to my fermentation bucket. Oxygenate with 02 for a couple minutes. Add the yeast after giving it a start in boiled water cooled appropriately. Ferment for about 2 weeks. Transfer to bottling bucket. Add carbonation corn sugar diluted in boiled water. Mix into bucket and bottle.

Well what's the verdict? I am looking for something that has a decent body, amber to dark Amber , and not too hoppy. Do I need to reconsider any of this?

never aerate the beer after fermentation. the last time you want to aerate (or oxygenate) is when you dump it into the primary fermenter. DO NOT oxygenate when bottling; that's how skunky beer is made.

never aerate the beer after fermentation. the last time you want to aerate (or oxygenate) is when you dump it into the primary fermenter. DO NOT oxygenate when bottling; that's how skunky beer is made.

Thanks for catching that. It is a typo and I will fix that. I was planning to oxygenate after I pour into the fermentation bucket and before I add the yeast.

Back