First Partial Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazybluerider

Reaction score
So I keep reading about late addition extract to keep the "extracty" flavor down. When this is done everyone seems to think you need to add a little extract at the beginning of the boil for the hops to blend with. So my question is, If I am doing a partial mash will the mashed grains be enough so that I can just add all my extract at 10 minutes or should I still add some extract at the start of the boil?

This will be my first partial mash and first first late addition extract as well. Hoping for a real tasty beer. Not that My previous beers have been bad just always looking for ways to get better. :rockin:

You'll probably have enough liquor to start your boil after the mash/sparge, but maybe not. If you have to add water to your mash runnings to get to your boil volume, you may want to consider adding a pound of extract or so per gallon of liquid.

Grain bill is

2lbs 2-row
1lbs Flaked oats
.75lbs Chocolate Malt
.75lbs Victory Malt
.5lbs Crystal 80
.5lbs Black Roasted Malt

My typical boils range from 3-4 gallons currently as I do not have room to do full boils yet. So I think this should give me enough volume to make that happen.

Looks like 6.5 quarts for mashing and 2 gallons for sparge should be 3.25-3.5 after mashing so boil volume should be right on.

Grain bill is

2lbs 2-row
1lbs Flaked oats
.75lbs Chocolate Malt
.75lbs Victory Malt
.5lbs Crystal 80
.5lbs Black Roasted Malt

My typical boils range from 3-4 gallons currently as I do not have room to do full boils yet. So I think this should give me enough volume to make that happen.

Looks like 6.5 quarts for mashing and 2 gallons for sparge should be 3.25-3.5 after mashing so boil volume should be right on.

Can you possibly use more 2-row? How much can you mash? A good rule-of-thumb for using grains without any diastatic power in the mash is to use an equivalent amount of base grain. What I mean is, since you have 3.5 pounds of adjuncts/specialty grains, that you should have 3.5 pounds two row if you can, to ensure conversion.

This a converted extract recipe so i think the specialty grains dont actually have to be mashed. what if i was only to mash the oats and steep the specialty grains in the sparge water?

I guess I was thinking conversion happened during the actual mash time and not during the sparge. So if the oats and 2 row sat in the mash water for the hour all the conversion would happen then and then the unconverted specialty grains could get dumped in with the sparge water to receive what ever enzymes were left.

:confused:

Back