First Partial Mash a success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
Yesterday, I brewed my first partial mash beer. I used DeathBrewer's PM method with some modifications. It was also my first self-made recipe, an IPA which I might be calling "Triple C IPA" (Cascade, Chinook, Centennial hops)

I really like that I have built up some brewing confidence since my first batch. I encountered a couple of problems that I pushed through with my best judgment. Several of these problems had me thinking "Oh crap, this will probably be the mistake that makes this my best beer thats unrepeatable." One of which was the realization after doing the mash that I had added too much water for my brew pot (only 3 gallons) and I made the decision to essentially split the batch into two pots (also splitting hop additions by weight). However, despite all of my problems, and my fears that I didnt mash the gains properly, I hit my target gravity EXACTLY without appearing to lose any finished volume. I was a little high at 1.080 when I poured all my water, but I figured I must have boiled off more than I expected, so I added an additional half gallon giving me 1.067 on the button.

I ended up dryhopping the IPA with an ounce each of Centennial and Cascade. The smell of the fermenter is amazing. Also, this is the first beer in which I used Irish Moss, makes the fermentation look friggin amazing! I pitched last night, and it going crazy already, Nottingham is a hardcore hungry yeast. I used a packet I had in the fridge for a few months because I forgot to buy another, and I figured I could always repitch, and it woke up wonderfully and started munching away in its warm sweet paradise!

I am really excited for this beer to finish. I am also excited to toss the recipe up here and see if anyone wants to try it/modify it!

Thanks for all the help everyone! If you have posted here, I have most likely read it and considered your advice in some way or another!

Haha, I ended up drinking a whole growler of Laughing Dog Brewery's Alpha Dog DIPA while brewing too. I didnt realize how potent it was and ended up sauced by cleanup time.

Latest posts

Back