First Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargersSB

Reaction score
So I just did my third all grain batch last week. I made a pale ale that I am going to dry hop with some cascade hops I grew last season. Here is the recipe. It's already brewed, but any critiques, thoughts etc would be much appreciated. Happy brewing!

Brady's Pale Ale

Style: American Pale Ale OG: 1.048
Type: All Grain FG: 1.013
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 4.59 %
Calories: 157 IBU's: 47.98
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 7.75 Gal
Color: 7.3 SRM Batch Size: 5.50 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 21 days @ 68.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
5.00 ozs 3.03 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034
8.00 ozs 4.85 % Biscuit Malt 60 mins 1.036
8.00 ozs 4.85 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 60 mins 1.034
1.00 lbs 9.70 % Briess Vienna Malt 60 mins 1.036
4.00 lbs 38.79 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 60 mins 1.036
4.00 lbs 38.79 % Pale Malt, Maris Otter 60 mins 1.038

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.25 ozs 0.00 Cascade 0 mins 6.40
0.50 ozs 9.26 Centennial 15 mins 10.30
1.00 ozs 38.72 Columbus (Tomahawk) 30 mins 13.90
1.00 ozs Cascade Dry Hop 7 days 5.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg California Ale V White Labs 0051

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 oz Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 152.0°F
Add 14.00 qt water @ 166.0°F
Medium Body Infusion In
Sparge 6.00 qt of 166.0°F water over 10 mins
Medium Body Infusion In
Sparge 14.00 qt of 166.0°F water over 10 mins

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
30.8 psi Force Carbonation 68.0°F 2.70

Notes
Made a 1 liter starter and stepped up once. Poured entire starter in.

my only thought is you have MO, and 2-row, but with the addition of the biscuit you have essentially made a substitute for MO, I often use biscuit or victory added to 2-row to make a close approximation of MO, you could leave out the 2-row and biscuit and just up your MO to keep your gravity the same.

Or use all 2-row and play with the biscuit amount. maybe try some home toasted 2-row instead of the biscuit.

+1 for "lose the Maris Otter". It is going to give a nutty flavor that probably doesn't belong in a Pale Ale. Just use all 2-Row instead. I might even drop the Biscuit from the recipe, also. Mostly 2-Row and a tiny bit of cara usually makes a pretty good Pale Ale or IPA. The hops are really going to be what makes the recipe, so you don't want a whole lot of complex grain flavors drawing attention away from the hoppiness. At least, I wouldn't....maybe you do, for all I know. But if it's going to be a traditional American Pale Ale, I would say lose the MO for sure, maybe lose the biscuit, and keep the grain bill really simple.

Thanks for the input. We'll see how it turns out. Still learning about all the grains, how the interact with each other etc. I was trying to go for more of a malty/biscuity flavor, but with more of an American hop profile, but not so bitter more balanced. It's only my third all grain batch and attempt at designing recipes. Perhaps I should keep it more simple for now as I learn the ingredients.

I have read quite a few books and done research online, but any suggestions on how to learn about the grains, what they might contribute as far as taste etc.? Can you make a tea of sorts and steep some of the grains?

Thanks for the input. We'll see how it turns out. Still learning about all the grains, how the interact with each other etc. I was trying to go for more of a malty/biscuity flavor, but with more of an American hop profile, but not so bitter more balanced. It's only my third all grain batch and attempt at designing recipes. Perhaps I should keep it more simple for now as I learn the ingredients.

I have read quite a few books and done research online, but any suggestions on how to learn about the grains, what they might contribute as far as taste etc.? Can you make a tea of sorts and steep some of the grains?

If you have a shop locally that sells grains in bulk (and is ok with it of course) it can be pretty revealing to go smell/taste some grains dry. Obviously the flavors impart a bit differently but often times I find myself tweaking recipes by sitting at home, drinking a bottle of what it is I wish to rebrew and tasting different grains I have left over from other brews to decide what I'd like to add, I've also taken the hunt to the homebrew shop when I have an idea of a flavor but dont know how to achieve it.

Back