First outdoor brew session on Thanksgiving!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So my back has really been bothering me.

Since I got enough in tips from last Sunday's Pats party to buy the makings of a 10 gallon batch. Gives me the chance to try out my new 15 gal fermenter. AND I had extra folks around since it was thanksgiving I figured while the turkey was in the oven I would have my 20yr old son help me brew up the batch since he could do all the heavy lifting. I also decided it was time to try the turkey fryer and pot outside for the boil.

Got the turkey fryer, pot and lid for free. Was a ***** to clean the pot and lid with all the years of caked on turkey frying oil. Took a couple days of soaking and scrubbing but was well worth it.

I am not ready for AG yet so I basically just doubled my extract recipe. I usually do a partial boil of 2 1/2 gallons and top off with 2 1/2 of cold water so I figured I would do a 5 gallon boil and top of with 5 gallons of cold water.

First we boiled water in the aluminum pot to build up the oxidation layer then dumped the water (to be sure the pot was clean too) and refilled the pot with 5 gals water.

I gotta say I like the lightweight of the aluminum and how easily it heats up.

Got the water to 170-180F and steeped the speciality grains for 1/2 hour.

Then added the LME and DME and brought it to a boil and added the hops. Boiled for 50mins and added 2 tabs of whirlfloc and the zest of 6 oranges.

Boiled 10 more minutes.

I adjusted the drain in my kitchen sink so that water would drain as the sink filled but allow the sink to fill without overflowing and set the pot in the sink.

Gotta love that aluminum in 15 mins the wort was down under 90F.

From up high we dumped the wort into the 5 gals water to really agitate it. Pitched and stirred in the yeast.

Happily bubbling away as we speak.

Gotta say brewing outside, even in the cold, was great. Not havng to really worry about boilovers or making a mess on the stove is awesome. I think the pot I was using inside is a 3 1/2 gallon one. The turkey fryer pot I think would easily hold six gallons of liquid if not more. Working with a big pot was a lot better too.

I was surprised at how easily and quickly the turkey frier got the water up to temps. Also surprised that the propane tank didn't feel that much lighter. From the sound of the burner you would it was going thru a ton of propane.

Can't wait till the day I have an AG single teir system out there to brew on. But for now just moving to this is great.

IMAG0252.jpg

Its my version of a blue moon clone. Basically an extract recipe for Octoberfest ale with the zest of oranges added.

It's not my fave but it is the one that friends and family drink most ( I prefer darker beers ) so I figure I would make a double batch and throw it in the 15 gallon fermenter:

• Unhopped Amber Malt Extract (1 can)
• Light Dried Malt Extract (2 lbs)
• Melanoidin Grain (8 oz)
• Hallertau Hop Pellets (2 oz)
• Ale Yeast (1 pack) I use Munton's since it works and it's .85 cents ;)
• Zest of 3 oranges

This is for 5 gallons so I just doubled it.

Back