First non Mr. Beer batch...disappointed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtl4life

Reaction score
First off, let me thank the contributors to this forum. I have already learned much more than I thought I needed to know.

I have been brewing with Mr. Beer since last year after my father in law bought me a kit for my birthday. I thought it was decent beer, was kind of fun making it (although not much to it). I wanted to take it a step further, so I bought a fermenting bucket and an extract kit and followed the instructions. The beer has been in the bottle for over three weeks now. I put one in the fridge on Sunday and tried it tonight and was very disappointed. The beer was a beautiful color, had a great aroma, tasted nice, but had very little carbonation with no head at all. Not enjoyable at all. It seemed to lack body as it resembled iced tea in my glass. Kind of watery I guess.

I was planning on getting another batch started tomorrow. I found a recipe on the board that I want to try, but would like to know what could have went wrong with this one before I start another. I did some searching and found a few threads, but they were talking about all grain recipes. If anyone can point me in the right direction and help me to figure out what may have gone wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

Chill a bottle for a week and try it again. Also, you need to go AT LEAST three weeks at 70F for bottle carbonating. Different batches, recipes, etc. can take more time to properly carbonate. The longer time in the fridge also helps the CO2 to get into the beer better. IMO/IME, two days really isn't enough time to get the CO2 into the beer.

Also, are you pouring into a room temp glass, or one from the freezer (frosted/chilled)?? If you're using a chilled glass, use one at room temp. If anything, just run some cold tap water through the glass to slightly cool it down.

If carbonation is all you lack, I'm betting things will work out. Three weeks at 70 degrees is the baseline for most beers to carb, but some take longer. Give it another week (or two), then put a couple in the fridge for at least a couple days, then try again.

What did you do for priming sugar? Boil a couple cups of water with the corn sugar that came with the kit? If you mised this in your bottling bucket, you really CAN'T screw up the carb - just give it more time.

As long as you used the correct amoutn of priming sugar for your exact volume you should be ok. I say twist them a bit keeping them around 70 deg and check back in a few weeks. I havent used those twist caps,but bottleling with bottles and caps with a capper has always given great carbonation for me.

Keep it in a dark closet for up to 3 additional weeks and try it again. Patience is the key to great beer. Don't "waste" bottles by Trying them too soon.

I just want to say that I had a very similar experience. I'm still figuring out the details but the main difference is the yeast. Mr Beer yeast, if nothing else, is fast. You have to get used to new types of yeast. Well, there are other fuzzy factors IMO. BUt the yeast is the main one.

Thanks for the fast replies and encouragement. I used a half cup of corn sugar (have a scale now so i can measure by weight next time). Only brewing a 2.5 gallon batch. The glass I poured it in was chilled. I'll try just a cooled glass next time. Also, I am using glass bottles with the bottle caps and capper. Not using plastic bottles with screw on caps.
I guess I'll give it three more weeks and check it again. Hopefully (crossing fingers), it will get better body and carb up for me if I wait it out.
Thanks everyone, if you think of anything else, please let me know. I post back in a few more weeks. Hopefully I'll have good news.

I think you may end up with some strong carbonation with .5 cup for 2.5 gallons because using a cup per 5 gallons is more than normal.

We'll see. I used half of what the kit came with for a 5 gallon batch. It came with 5 oz. by weight. Since I didn't have my scale yet, I measured the volume and used half, which was 1/2 cup. We'll see what happens. So far, has very little carbonation.

I just had a thought about this. My last two batches are months old,& started the conditioning/carbing process when it was still cold out. Moved them up to the master bedroom where it's a lot warmer to try & get some carbonation going. Then month or more later into fridge for at least 6-7 days,some 2 weeks. It took at least 6 days fridge time to get decent carbonation in most of them,still not much in some. But the head was fantastic,thick & finely bubbled.
I started to think that of all the times I've reused the same bottles,that that could be part of the problem. Some had soaked in PBW solution for an extended time of a few hours to a couple of days. Others did indeed have dried,compacted trub in the bottom. So I heated a SS pot of water to nice & steamy,then used a funnel to fill the bottles up to the shoulder. I left them to soak till the hot steamy water cooled down to luke warm. Then took a bottle brush to them in both directions,& up & down. rinse & repeat scrubbing,rinse again. Dried on bottle tree & they do look measureably cleaner.
I think the cleaners & beer left overs do seem to leave a fine layer of stuff on the inside of the glass. I think I'll use the bottle brush on newly emptied bottles from now on to be sure there's no microfine residue build up from the beer or cleaners. We'll see if that makes a difference in the carbonation process.

I dissolved the priming sugar in a cup of boiling water, let it cool, dumped it into my empty bottling bucket, then racked on top of it. Gave it a few very gentle stirs with a sterilized spoon, and bottled.

I know it has only been like 11 days or so since my post, but I wanted to update everyone on what I have done since my initial concern. First, I inverted the bottles a few times to get the yeast back in suspension. Next, I moved the beer to a warmer climate. I put it in my closet with an empty box over the top of it and checked the temperature. It was stable at about 80 degrees. Kept it like that for a week, refrigerated one for three days (I know it should be longer) then opened it about 10 minutes ago. What a huge difference. It was nice and bubbly, had head retention, and laced the glass beautifully. Most importantly, it was delicious. I guess I just needed a little beer brewers patience for it all to come together. I believe the warmer temperature could have helped it too. I am putting the rest of this brew in the fridge to enjoy next weekend with some friends. Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I'm a believer in this forum.

Good deal,at least you have .5 cup corn sugar rather than table because you would have even more carbonation. As long as you have where you want your carbonation at currently,I would keep them in the fridge because they will keep carbing most likely with more condtitiong time,sometimes when I overcarbonated I didnt start noticing overcarbonation till around 2 months,so yours may not be fully (over)- carbonated just yet. Glad it turned out for you.

Thanks. Right now they seem to be perfect. I don't think I'll have to worry about them over carbonating, because they will be gone before they get the chance. Cheers. :mug:

Back