Quantcast

First Non-Extract brew

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mike1234

Reaction score
Looking for some general guidance.

Planning on doing BIAB with an Irish Red all-grain kit from MoreBeer.
I am planning on doing a sparge by dunking the grain bag in another pot of 170° water. (or should I dump it over the suspended bag)
What temp should I mash?
How long should I mash?
Should I raise temp at end to 170 for mashout if I'm doing sparge?

Planning on splitting the batch at the end of chilling.
1 fermenter(2 gal) will be an irish red.
1 fermenter(3gal) will be a sour. Roeselare wyeast.
Should i still pitch the full wyeast packs, for smaller batches?
If the temps change based on irish red vs sour, I care more about the sour.

Thanks
Mike

solbes

Reaction score
Mash at 153, and use an online calculator to tell you how hot to heat your strikewater. Mash for 60 minutes and start mashout to 170. I have my BIAB brew kettle over a propane burner. You have to heat the wort to boiling anyway so it does not add any time. I see a 5-8% bump in efficiency when doing a mashout.

Once the mashout hits 170, remove the bag and dunk in 170F second vessel if its large enough. 5- 10 minutes is plenty, you want to "rinse off" the sugars in the sparge. Combine sparge with wort and boil away.

I would pitch most of the primary yeast into the irish red, but also add a little to the sour (maybe 20-30%). Full pitch of roselare into the sour. Or just pitch each full pouch appropriately if that is your desire.

jro238

Reaction score
I only ever did one BIAB before building a mash tun so take this advice for what it's worth...

I had pretty good luck just dumping the sparge water over the bag which was held over the boil kettle. I don't think that you need to mash out if doing a sparge.

I would definitely pitch the entire wyeast packs. This will probably get you pretty close to the correct # of cells (depending on your gravity of course).