First No Chill IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

Reaction score
I felt like experimenting a few weeks ago and brewed an IPA using the no chill technique. I really wanted to get an idea of the IBU contribution of late hops so the only hops I used where 4 ounces of a mix of CTZ, simcoe, and centennial all thrown in the "cube". I didnt use any kettle hop additions. I grabbed a sample before adding dry hops last night and was blown away at how much hop flavor and aroma there was. It was pretty shocking. The bitterness is very close to my liking but I wont have a final say until after its chilled and carb'd. All in all, im stoked with the results. You hear the term "kettle hops are for the neighbors". After tasting the product of combining hot wort and a load of hops in a sealed container it makes more sense. I just might be a convert... We'll see.

I recently did a no-chill Belgian IPA and did something similar. I used a little bit of Cascade for FWH, then everything else went in the cube (FFC7). After 3 days in primary, I dry-hopped for 4 days, then racked to secondary to age a little bit with some brett and oak. I was pretty blown away at the taste when I transferred it all over. It was right where I wanted it.

By the time I whirpool and drain to the cube, my wort is usually just shy of 200 degrees. This is a great temperature for hops, I think. You don't extract the bitterness, nothing is boiling away, and all the dankness stays in the wort.

Back