First NITRO Stout!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this but I had to share it.
I went out to a beer release event at a local brewery last night (peated scotch ale and not the best in my book) and while there I noticed that they had a NITRO Irish stout on tap. So I ordered one and I'm thinking of leaving my wife for it! It was so good!!! The head was so creamy and the mouth feel was like no other I've ever had. So like I said I just wanted to share my experience with you. Cheers!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428491763.977118.jpg

Iv only had 1 nitro stout and I was not impressed. It didn't have a head at all! Guess I will have to go try another because that looks tasty.

It was very interesting. When the beer was first poured the whole glass was a creamy brown color and you could see the nitro escaping the beer. Really a pretty sight to see it turn into the glass of beer in the picture.

Glad you liked it! Living in Ireland basically every stout is on nitro. I would kill for a nitro kegging set up.

I think it mixes... Takes quite a while then the stout tap knocks it out of solution creating the cascade effect your seeing and making that creamy texture.

Love Nitro beers. Putting a Nitro tap on my keggerator was one of the best decisions I ever made.

You can easily do this at home without a nitrogen tap. All you need is a 10 - 12 cc syringe like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Syringe-12cc-Luer-Lock-Pack/dp/B000FN890U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428583668&sr=8-1&keywords=12+cc+syringe

Pour 12 oz of stout into a 22 oz pub glass. Draw up 3 - 5 cc of beer plus an equal amount of air into the syringe and then shoot it back into the glass in one quick stroke. The amount of beer and air to add is dependent on how many volumes of CO2 the beer was carbonated to and the temperature of the beer. The warmer the beer, the less beer + air you can inject and still keep it from foaming over the top of the glass. It takes a bit of trial and error, so do it near a sink for easy cleanup, or at least be prepared to start sucking beer out of the glass (my preferred option. :D) This method will give you the thick, creamy head and soft, cascading bubbles of a pub pour for a fraction of the cost. (It's also a hell of a lot cheaper than leaving your wife.) In fact, when Guinness started selling their flagship stout in bottles in the 1970's, before the invention of the nitrogen widget, they included a syringe and these instructions with every six pack.

http://www.packaging-gateway.com/features/feature774/feature774-4.html

Here's an article with a little more background:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-03-12/entertainment/9703120072_1_widget-creamy-head-draught

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of my Dry Irish Stout after the head has settled.

Stout!.jpg

Back