First NEIPA - Feedback Requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan206

Reaction score
I am looking to brew my first NEIPA on some new to me equipment (Blichmann BrewEasy) using cryohops and wanted some feedback before I got started. Looking for something juicy with a citrus bite, no overt bitterness, with a NEIPA mouthfeel. Didn't include water chemistry but will be adjusting. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Neipa.png
    Neipa.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
Grain: looks good, I think you're basically going with Braufessor's recipe which is awesome.

Hops: you might want a small bittering charge at 60 min. I use Warrior to bitter to 20 IBU in my recipe, I could see 25-30 IBU working better for an 8.2% beer. You have 21 oz of cryohops (equivalent to 42 oz pellets) in a 10 gallon batch, seems like overkill and I've heard bad things about using only cry. I'd go 50/50 on pellets and cryo and shoot for closer to 6-8 oz in the whirlpool and 12-18 oz in the dry hop (those are pellet quantities). Citra/Mosaic/Cascade sounds like a good combo, but the Cascade might get lost a bit.

Water: 75:150 sulfate:chloride and a mash pH of 5.2 to 5.3 is a good place to start

Looks a similar grain bill to what I used for my NEIPA, would be interested to see what the honey malt is like though as I haven't used that before!

Where are you picking up your cryo hops? I'd like to try a batch using all cryo like you did here. Less waste, less vegetal material in the wort.
You may also want to experiment with 2 separate hop additions (some say 3). One during high krausen and again when fermentation is near its end.

Where are you picking up your cryo hops? I'd like to try a batch using all cryo like you did here. Less waste, less vegetal material in the wort.
You may also want to experiment with 2 separate hop additions (some say 3). One during high krausen and again when fermentation is near its end.

I bought my cryohops off of eBay, found a bunch of them cheap. This sucker is still in the unitank but samples well so far (its at 1.028 after about a week and a half). I had one hop addition in the whirlpool, another during krausen, and one more thereafter. No boil hops and the wife still thinks its too bitter 😆.

Yeah, they can be tricky to sample from the unitank. Cold crashing and carbonation makes a big difference.
So you did two dry hop editions. That seems to be what most recommend.
Sounds like it's going to be a keeper. Good luck.

Super satisfied thus far. Will post some pics after it hits 1.02 and I cold crash/carb.

Back