First Munich Dunkel - BIAB with step mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yahtiman

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been lurking for a long time and have been brewing for a few years now. I decided to take my brewing to the next level and try putting together my own recipe using some techniques I haven't had a chance to play with yet, such as step mashing.

I use a BIAB method and plan to put together a Munich Dunkel. I debated using a single or double decoction but after all the research I did, I couldn't get together a solid plan (nor was I sure it was going to matter). I ended up with a step mash, which would be my first attempt. Just wanted to post what I came up with after putting together all my internet research and get some feedback before brew day!

Batch Size: 5.5 gal
Boil Size: 7.5 gal
Target OG: 1.052
Target FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.20%
SRM - 17-18
IBU: 21

Malts:
6.5 lbs Best Malz Dark Munich
3.5 lbs Best Malz Munich
1 lbs Pilsner Malt
3 oz Carafa II

Hops:
1.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrüh @ 60 min
.5 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrüh @ 15 min

Yeast:
White Labs 833

I plan to dough in with a target temp of 133 for a 10 min protein rest, then 145 for first sacc rest (30 mins) and then 156 for second sacc rest (45 mins) and mash out at 170. I would be using full volume, 7.5 gal, throughout the mashing. I would finish with a 75 minute boil, drop wort to fermenting temp, pitch yeast and ferment @ 55.

Any thoughts on the step mashing times? Anyone think including a decoction somewhere in there would help improve this? This is my first Munich Dunkel so any feedback is appreciated!

are you going to remove the bag when you turn the burner back on to increase temp? I singed a bag doing a step mash.

Ah I didn't even think of that. Maybe can partially lift the bag out whiile it heats

I use the $1 clips from Home Depot to hold my bag up. When I step mash I keep the mash closer towards the top of the mash water and I've never burnt my bag.

Latest posts

Back